Does anyone own leopard lizards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
http://www.secretenvironments.com/images/Secret%20Environments%20general%20015_sm.jpg

I am looking for this guy. I find it referred to as leopard or blunt nose leopard, however I was told at the reptile show they need a tropical viv, yet it seems to be a desert lizard. The above image looks very close to the one I saw (I did photo it, if you wanted the exact specimen) However, some lizards that pop with this search look completely different, with the same name, going as far as looking closer to a skink than a lizard. Does anyone know the species for the one shown here? They seem to be fairly inexpensive and about the size of a medium sized beardie so I hope someone here has owned one and can tell me about them or refer me to a care sheet. I can find some care sheets but again, with so many different looking lizards being called "leopard lizard" (heck, I even get the leopard gecko in this search) I want to make sure I am giving the proper care for the correct species.

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Apparently there are 3 types of Leopard Lizards. The blunt nosed lizard is endangered and not allowed as a pet. The long nosed lizard is allowed as a pet and not endangered. I found this:

A pair of Leopard Lizards should be given a spacious cage, at least 3 feet long and 18 inches wide. In a smaller cage, they may rub their noses raw. Captive Leopard Lizards need ultraviolet light; natural sunlight is the most beneficial. However, a black light and/or a full spectrum bulb will suffice. The cage should have a hot spot 100° - 110°, a spotlight pointed at one side of the cage will work, and a cooler area of the cage at 75° - 80°. This way your lizards can regulate their own temperature. If your Leopard Lizards are dining on an insect diet, supplement the insects with calcium and vitamins. Caution should be used when handling Leopard Lizards as they can and will bite hard. Babies and juveniles will quickly tame down and make good captives.

http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/gamb-wis.html

Those are a couple of things I found...let me know if this helps! They look pretty neat! I'm glad you brought them to my attention.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, it helps at least in the sense that I know know it's proper Latin name and why I find lizards that look nothing like what I saw (breeding colors). Sounds to me like the breeder didn't know what he was doing. I hope he sold him to someone that knows what it is because he told me it was tropical! Not that I really rely on what half these people tell me anyways, especially when they have 4" uso's sitting in an open container and they're cold (same guy)...I know virtually nothing about them but I know that's wrong lol.

Some of the vender's were great to talk to, the one frog guy seemed to actually have some expertise, so I grabbed his card.

The specific specimen I saw. Wish I had just grabbed him up. Don't really like not being prepared though.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30913732&l=e8e9d4f353&id=1382117988

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
I've noticed that breeders of a specific species, in general, know what they are doing and care about their animals. Alternately, I've noticed that people who specialize in "reptiles" as a whole tend to suck at taking care of any of them and don't know a whole lot about any specific species.

That guy sure was cute! :D But being prepared it's where it's at...I can't/won't/don't buy a pet without a long term plan, not breeding wise, but you get what I mean. I hope someone picked him up who knew about them, or cared enough to look if what he said was right... Misinformation makes me sad :(

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yea I did that with the frog and ended up with what appeared to be a dwarf pyxie not a regular one, so it wouldn't have gotten big like i wanted, I still would have enjoyed him though, unfortunately it seems like I may have killed him with the water out of the dehumidifier. I did get a good suggesting from the guy at the frog table, he mentioned spring water from the store. I also did it with the gecko (meaning I didn't have a cage set up) but at least I had already read a book and knew what their needs were. The only reason I did that was because I found a nice one that I knew was expensive for 75.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom