ok i have a ton of Qs about Chameleons

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so please help if you can
1 are they hard to care for
2 abuot how much money will i ned for everything i need (including the lzard)
3 about how big of a cage will i need a(can you gve me a link if you have it)
4 do they need lights (heat uvb ect)
5 any tips/rules you have iwold love to hear them
6 what is the friendlist kind of Chameleon/easist to care for
7 abou how many crickets do they eat in week
8 do they eat any greens

sorry for the misspelling my keyboard is broken
thanka and please help.
russ

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you are a beginner, chameleons are very hard to care for & are really for more advanced keepers.
As a baby, they will eat quite a bit, probably at least 50+ crickets daily, of the appropriate size. You can give a variety of worms to them as well, such as waxies, mealworms, phoenix worms or butterworms. The larger worms can be given when they get bigger. They are primarily carnivorous but also classified as omnivores too. So, they appreicate some veggies as well. It gives them a good balance. So I would say offer them greens & veggies several times per week for good health.
They need full spectrum, UVB lighting, along with a bright white basking light. One main thing that they need in their setup that is critical for their survival is a good drip system for their water & or a good misting system. They do not drink from standing water, it has to be moving & or dripping for them to drink.
So, with that said, they are very prone to dehydration if the proper watering system is not setup well for them. They do have a problem with vitamin A deficiency as well, so, proper diet & supplementation without overdoing the calcium with D3 supplementation is a must.
A good sized enclosure needs to be a 3x4x2. They need more vertical space than a horizontal space because they will not thrive without climbing apparatus in their tanks.
I have not had chameleons personally, but have cared for some previously & had friends with them. Veileds have a tendency to gape & hiss & are somewhat temperamental. The Jacksons seem to have a much better personality & are friendlier as well.
I do not know much about the Pygmies but they are tiny, tiny, tiny!

I hope this helps. I am sure that more people will chime in for more specific information for you.

Tracie

Puritania

Sub-Adult Member
russblaxr9":be3f1 said:
ok so please help if you can
1 are they hard to care for
2 abuot how much money will i ned for everything i need (including the lzard)
3 about how big of a cage will i need a(can you gve me a link if you have it)
4 do they need lights (heat uvb ect)
5 any tips/rules you have iwold love to hear them
6 what is the friendlist kind of Chameleon/easist to care for
7 abou how many crickets do they eat in week
8 do they eat any greens

1- Not if you do the appropriate research
2- Depends what you're looking for, what species, type of cage, ect, but put aside about $500.
3- Again, depends on species completely.
4- All diurnal lizards need lighting. UVA/UVB and heat are very important.
5- You really need to specify what Chameleon you want... tips are different for every species, and there's a few hundred.
6- Panther. Hands down.
7- Depends on species, sex, age, etc.
8- Veileds have been known to, but Chams are primarily opportunistic insectivores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom