Female jacksons cham, to get or not to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachella

Juvie Member
Argh! :banghead: I'm trying to talk myself out of this guys, help me. :(

The local petstore is as notorious as the rest in terms of caring for their reptiles and providing correct information... But they have this adorable female jackson's chameleon I'm struggling to decide on whether or not to purchase her. She had a bite they say was caused by the worms left in her food bowl behind her left lip which had swollen her jaw and seems to have given her a permanent underbite on the corner of her lip. The swelling has gone down, but her eyes look a little too small for me and she has a huge belly which makes me wonder if she's gravid.

She's absolutely adorable, definitely scared out of her wits and I want to help her. My BF and I have experience with chameleons, we kept a graceful chameleon with us for over a year before the poor thing died of a heat stroke when our electricity went out one hot summer day while we were at work :banghead: :banghead: and we also had a panther chameleon which we recently gave to his mother because the two seemed made for each other (they totally are). I've been trying to talk my BF into getting her because he's more of a chameleon lover than I am, but he's not budging.

I'm certain we could take good care of her, but I'm worried if I do purchase her something will go wrong and she'll die and I'll feel horrible, because what if someone else more experienced would've taken her and helped her? Not to mention I have the beardies to take care of, and we'll be moving in a month or so... Grr, argh. :p

Here's two pics I snuck of her in the petstore, I couldn't get a good image of her bad lip, and you can sorta make out the bulk in her stomach (much bigger now). Sorry for the quality, camera phone. :roll:

downsized_0507091958.jpg

downsized_0424091631.jpg

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
she's cute. i say you go for it. it seems like you have experience and most importantly a desire to provide the best. think of it this way...if you don't get her, who might?

ronni1221

Juvie Member
If you came to this website to ask whether to get her, you know we're going to say GO FOR IT! Do it! You won't regret it!

Rachella

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think I've sort of already almost talked myself into it. :cry:

And I think part of posting here was to blame it on you guys instead of myself if I did decide to get her, haha! :twisted:

All I really need to go is just convince the BF the cage won't be much, hmm! And that it'll be for a good cause! Hmmmm! He hasn't said -I- couldn't get her, so shame on him if he comes home to an extra lizard one day! :blob8:

Maybe he won't notice? :dontknow: :twisted:

Ooohhh but there is the reptile show on the 13th and if I do get her there'll be no way I could get something there... not to mention I want a bird. Argh! :cry: Choices... haha. :p

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
She has that look that makes me wanna go buy her and i'm not even into chams :lol: she looks so sweet and pretty.

Rachella

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oops! I used the wrong forum. That's what I get for not scrolling all the way down on the main page! Haha! :oops: :blob5:

My BF today said I shouldn't get her. :cry: And his mom teamed up with him against me. They said that the pet store hasn't been taking good care of her and we'd be spending 170 bucks on a lizard that could die soon after we bought her. Grrrr.. Then they used the bird argument against me! As much of a sweetie she is I've been wanting a bird since forever and I think I've almost gotten him worn down to where I can get one. (Hoping to get a pineapple or turquoise conure!) :love10:

But still... I know every time I walk in there I'm going to want to help her.. :( She is such a sweetie and I just really really wanna give her a good home... I wonder if I could talk them down on price?? Maybe he'd let me get her then.. :twisted: haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom