romaine lettuce ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missmeg

My 8-yo son got a beardie for Christmas. Sunni is a 3-4 month old female. The lizard expert at the store where Sunni was purchased said that romaine lettuce was a good staple veggie to provide, so that's what we've been offering her every day. But I'm not seeing it listed on this site. Also, Sunni doesn't seem to ever EAT the romaine. But she's tearing through 3 doz or more crix a day. My dh thinks that is excessive, but I know it's not.

We've had her a week, and reading on her is the first time I've seen to bathe her. How do you bathe a juvie beardie?

She's a very social little thing, and loves being out of her environment to play in the evenings.

Any other advice you can offer?

Thanks, Meg

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Ah wow thats too bad that the person at the pet store told you that. Pretty much ANY type of lettuce is not good for beardies. It has close to zero nutritional value. Dont feel too bad about it though becase at 4 months your beardie is probably going to turn his nose to veggies. They can be brats!! Most of the greens that you should feed to your beardie can be found at the grocery store.

Mustard Greens
Collard Greens
Turnip Greens
Dandelion Greens
Endive
Escarole

I have found all of those things at Walrmart/Tops. At the local grocery store they only have Endive. I guess thats what you get for living in a small town! Here is a great website with a color coded chart telling you each veggie and if its safe for your beardie!

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

If you want to go over your cage set up and make sure everything else is going good answer these questions. There are so many knowledgeable people here on this website. Welcome! When I first came here I think i was breaking every rule in the book with my beardies and one of them almost died. I had to change almost everything in the tank and separate the two but now they are both doing great and i couldnt be more happy! (for the most part :p on of them is a brat sometimes)

How long is your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
The crickets I believe are still their main staple. My daughter's beardie seems to like very small bite sized pieces of carrots and currently at 6-8 weeks old eats 20-35 crickets a day and wants more (so I will feed him more). My daughter being new didn't realize thay could eat up to 50 a day at this age (equals about $5 a day for her to feed her lizard but she loves him so she will do so for him). Our pet store said romaine could be given periodically but the ones mentioned above were better for them

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
First!
:wave: Hello Meg & Welcome to BD.org! :D
And........
:blob8: Congratulations on the New Baby! :blob8:

To answer your question about bathing;
You want the bath to be luke warm like a baby bath(about 95*).
You can do this in the sink for a beardie of that size and when you feel he is big enough the bath tub will work.
Only put in enough water to come up to your beardies shoulders.
You may place a towel or dish cloth in the bottom of the sink so your beardie isn't slipping.
Allow your beardie about 15 to 20 minutes to soak up water thru his vent.
Never leave your beardie unattended while bathing.

Again Gratz & Welcome! :D

andras

Hatchling Member
my advice, in response to your question is to let her out and play as often as you can. most people have very busy days and your relaxing time can be a great play time. i've read that the romaine lettuce is zero percent nutricious. i saw that someone else posted a list of good things for beardies to eat. i would wager that list accurate. as for baths, i'm not sure. need that information myself. :lurk: guess i'll keep checking this thread for new info. have fun with that beardie! :blob8:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
According to my Beardie book, romaine lettuce is fine, but according to some online caresheets, its not. I'm being safe and using cabbage instead. My buddy loves it!
Also, instead of using a veggie "staple", I'd use a whole variety to create a salad; kale, mustard greens, collard greens, green beans, carrots, cabbage, etc. The more variety the better!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
herpfreak":4e52f said:
According to my Beardie book, romaine lettuce is fine, but according to some online caresheets, its not. I'm being safe and using cabbage instead. My buddy loves it!
Also, instead of using a veggie "staple", I'd use a whole variety to create a salad; kale, mustard greens, collard greens, green beans, carrots, cabbage, etc. The more variety the better!
It's not that it is bad it has no food value. So it's not recommended.
If you are giving a nice variety of veggies it is perfectly fine to put some romaine in. It's best to give 2 if possible 3 kinds of green leafy veggies a day with other veggies mixed in.
Just never use iceberg is what I have heard.

I too believe that if you give them a nice balanced meal with variety they will be happy. :mrgreen:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
fresnowitte":615dd said:
herpfreak":615dd said:
It's not that it is bad it has no food value. So it's not recommended.
If you are giving a nice variety of veggies it is perfectly fine to put some romaine in. It's best to give 2 if possible 3 kinds of green leafy veggies a day with other veggies mixed in.
Just never use iceberg is what I have heard.

I too believe that if you give them a nice balanced meal with variety they will be happy. :mrgreen:
That makes sense. Thanks for the correction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom