Yellow Squash????

Status
Not open for further replies.

slddgk

Is yellow squash ... ok for beardies? I know there are alot of squash out there that is, just curious. I am trying to mix up her greens/veggies, so she will eat more of them.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes I believe you mean summer squash which is known as yellow squash also and it is great for beardies but do definately check out the link Diamc gave you because it can give you some wonderful options to very their diets.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
It's OK if fed in only small amount. While it's not harmful, it doesn't have much nutrition but still more than lettuces I believe. Same as tomatoes and radishes. Winter squash, such as butternut squash, acorn squash, and kobocha are much better and have a lot of nutrients and are great color enhancers.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Here is another link: http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm IT shows what greens and veggies and fruits to use as the staple and which to use on occasion. The occasions one I buy every other week and mixed it in with the staple greens all week, so it comes out to 2 parts good greens and 1 part occasional greens. I do this with my iguana for 3 years with no health issue. You should mix them in to add varieties. If you do not even if you feed them the good greens, they still can suffer from nutritional deficiency. It's OK as long as you mix it with the good staple greens and veggies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The squash has a higher nutritional value if fed raw.
Paradon, it seems that both the Beautifuldragons site & the one you posted are very similar.

slddgk

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. I had gotten a deal on some yellow squash the other day, and today I purchased a butternut squash, and I still have some acorn squash from before. She doesn't seem to like the squash too much. I have been giving her a mixture of turnip and mustard greens and she would take a piece here and there. Got her some kale today and I have seen her eat more of that. But she now has the Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB tube light and she seems happier. I have tried shredding the squash and mincing it, which is better?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that you now have the Repti-Sun fluorescent & that she seems happier. As far as the squash goes, you can either shred it or mince it, I usually shred it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom