How many crickets and BSFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilys

I have a 5 month old bearded dragon who weighs 195 grams. He's been eating crickets for his whole life (80-100 a day). I decided to incorporate some BSFL into his diet on top of the crickets. What is a good number to feed of each? I don't want to feed him too much and have him be overweight. Also, I have been giving calcium supplements once a day. Should I decrease that since BSFL contain a lot of calcium? Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you feeding salads? He needs to be eating salads every day --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
feed as many BSFL as you want --- thats a lot of crickets hes eating --- are you feeding the correct size? He should be eating the size of no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- use your BSFL as lures to the salad bowl -- add them in front of him --- I would look at getting him switched over to dubias if you can http://www.dubiaroaches.com

emilys

Original Poster
He eats a bowl of collard greens with assorted veggies (bell peppers, squash, sweet potato, etc.) every day. I rotate with the vegetables so it's not always the same. He loves his salad and typically eats most if not all of it. He has been eating small crickets still. I'm paranoid about impaction. I have recently moved up to 1/2inch to 3/4 inch crickets and he seems to be doing well with them. Unfortunately, the people I live with will not allow me to have dubias. Even after explaining escape is very unlikely. I will be moving in about a year so at that time I will probably transition him. I will probably decrease the number of crickets and add the BSFL to his salad like you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom