Wild insects

CATaylor

Out of curiosity, what is the overall thoughts and feelings on feeding wild caught bugs? Specifically locust, horn worms, and cicadas? I have not done this, am just curious as I see a lot of back and forth on it. I understand the risk of parasites, but I feel like any bug has a risk of parasites. I've seen the wild horn worn argument about that if they are tomato leaves you can't feed, but the counter argument is they are eaten in the wild without issues. Cicadas are under ground for 17 years so would be unlikely to have parasite or any pesticide in it. Thoughts?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Out of precaution I would not feed anything wild---- it is best to know where your bugs have been and are being fed things that are not going to make them sick or hazardous

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Only wild insects I'd consider are

> cabbage moth grubs ( if they are on my cabbages --- I don't use insecticides or weedicides in my garden )
> if I had grapes - grape vine catepillas ( same deal )
earthworms ( same deal )
> blow fly maggots ( same deal )

Nothing that is highly mobile - don't know what neighbours use in their homes and gardens and yards .

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Personally, I'd avoid wild caught insects. You don't know where they've been and what they've been exposed to, they're more likely than farm raised to be carrying parasites, and as other posters have noted, some are toxic depending on what they've been feeding on. Just not worth the risk, IMHO.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I tend to agree with not feeding wild bugs but I've done it. We have black crickets and grasshoppers here, I've fed both.
I don't use chemicals in the yard and I'm pretty sure the neighbors don't either. Fancy manicured lawns aren't a thing here, most are quite full of weeds, mine included.

I know I would try feeding a cicada if they were here

Scottyc

I love how people are convinced that commercially raised bugs are somehow less prone to parasites than wild caught. As if these farm raised insects don't sit in disease contained containers all day feeding on each other's feces.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom