Baby beardie seems very picky about food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
So my new tiny lizard Nova seems to be pretty picky!
He will eat many crickets, but if they have calcium powder or vitamin powder, acts like he can't see them!
I've gotten him to eat a few small clover leaves, but only once!
Also I ordered some black solder fly larva and after watching them and liking them, Nova ate a few seemingly grudgingly! After that day, he only will eat one or two and ignores them!
Now I know people say an old or wrong uv light can cause eating problems, and I got a new one in just hadn't installed it yet because I've been so busy.
But I'm a little worried the new light will make no difference...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB and the basking temps control the over all health and behavior of the dragon -- if it is incorrect he will not eat and he will get sick from other issues MBD being the most prominent one -- they must have proper UVB --- tell me what you got for the UVB so I can help you get it placed in the tank --- you need to do this right away ----

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have a zilla desert t8 uv. It's actually an old one that I forgot to replace after my previous dragon died.
The new one I didn't have time to install is actually a couple months old, but it was never used.
The heat light is a reptisun 150 watt clear light.
I'm planning on switching out the uv light tomorrow morning before the little guy is up. And then I'm going to try and find a reptisun brand uv tube.
I've just been very busy this weak and had some unexpected problems....

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok when you get the new bulb what are you using ? Distance and placement is key here?

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, the uv is six inches from the basking area, and about 8 inches from where Nova usually likes to stay.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The bulb is expired if its over 6 months old and not putting any uvb out if it's a T 8

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2mz80w4k said:
The bulb is expired if its over 6 months old and not putting any uvb out if it's a T 8

You mean the one that was already in there? I took it out this morning and put the other one in, the one I've had but never used.
It does seem to have made a difference, little guy ate 13 larva this morning and then a bunch of those tiny crickets a few hours later.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks.
Here is a photo of the set up by the way
DSC00068.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get rid of the board and get some nice basking decor like this from Petsmart
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 another piece for basking on --- also I would look at getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for the tank - cut to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 ---- more sanitary than the carpet and insects cannot get underneath -- you also need a digital probe thermometer for correct basking temps
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
and your T 8 bulb needs to be changed out in about 6 months from install I recommend 5 months-- your dragon needs salads is he eating the BSFL now that the UVB has been changed out? add them to the tops as lures to the salad bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81pd_rd_w=AuGQB%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81pd_rd_wg=tLkwE%E2%A6%81&%E2%A6%81ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
a nutrition website for you ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
DO NOT dust the BSFL but you will need to dust them main insect -- I would also feed dubias as a compliment to the BSFL -- hes going to eat less of the BSFL I am thinking you can get them from here www.dubiaraoches.com get him small ones dust w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom