Question about dried pellets for beardies

AkhiMertail

I got 2 cans of ZooMed dried pellets, and it turns out they're both past their expiry date by about 6 months. One can is unopened, is it safe to use it? Can dried bearded dragon food expire? I don't see any mold, and the smell is normal, I'd even call it tasty.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Most on here do not use any dried food at all --- fresh salads and live insects are mostly fed --- as far as expiration and usage I couldnt be of any help since I dont feed it -- someone else on here can respond to that -- personally I wouldnt use it if its expired

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
What Karrie said. Were you gifted these dried pellets, or is that what you usually feed? I'd wean off of them, personally... they're not made with the best or freshest ingredients, and some of what is used as a base (like corn / corn meal) is not digestible by beardies. Frankly, I'm amazed that they're allowed to be sold.

Better to use fresh salads and live feeders. If you're just using pellets as treats, or as supplements, I guess that might work okay... but fresh greens are the way to go.

paultyner

I got 2 cans of ZooMed dried pellets, and it turns out they're both past their expiry date by about 6 months. One can is unopened, is it safe to use it? Can dried bearded dragon food expire? I don't see any mold, and the smell is normal, I'd even call it tasty.gbwhatsapp
I’m not too sure about the expiration dates and I don’t know your exact situation, but those pellets generally aren’t super good for them. Is that all your beardie is eating? If it is, please consider feeding it live insect feeders and the proper veggies it needs.

caylakling

I got 2 cans of ZooMed dried pellets, and it turns out they're both past their expiry date by about 6 months. One can is unopened, is it safe to use it? Can dried bearded dragon food expire? I don't see any mold, and the smell is normal, I'd even call it tasty. Candy Crush
Generally, it is not recommended to use pet food that has passed its expiry date, even if it is only by a few months. The expiry date is an indication of when the food is no longer guaranteed to meet the nutritional requirements of your pet and may have lost some of its nutritional value or developed harmful bacteria.

Although the unopened can of ZooMed dried pellets may appear to be safe to use, it is still possible that the food has been affected by factors such as moisture, temperature, or exposure to light, which can all contribute to the degradation of the food quality.

To be on the safe side, it is best to dispose of both cans of ZooMed dried pellets and purchase a new, fresh batch of food for your pet. This will ensure that your pet is receiving the proper nutrition and reduce the risk of any potential health issues that may arise from consuming expired pet food.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I wouldn't recommend giving it to them. I use it but I don't use a lot of it. I mostly mix pellets in with my Beardies salads and Insects and I only mix it once or twice a week. But I don't recommend giving it to your Beardie

evawillms

You have an incredible ability to make those around you feel valued and appreciated. Your genuine kindness and thoughtfulness shine through in every interaction, and it's truly inspiring. Your positive energy and uplifting spirit have a way of brightening even the toughest days. Thank you for being such an amazing person, and for all the positivity you bring to those lucky enough to know you. Drift Boss

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom