Baby Beardie not eating Veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

flights

I've recently purchased a baby beardie and have been making an attempt at making him eat vegetables, he's currently eating completely fine but I need to get vegetables into his diet as he needs it because in adult bearded dragons they require 80% of their diet to be plant matter, any Ideas how I can get him to eat them? Since currently his diet is basically 100% bugs cause he doesn't wanna eat :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you feeding for insects? Try feeding salads first thing in the morning w/ some BSFL on top as lures - use as many as you want DO NOT DUST them - http://www.symtonbsf.com
After about a hr or so add your staple feeder to the bowl dubias work the best - crickets you will need to pull a leg or two off -- Make sure your dusting the insect feeder w/ calcium D3 and alternating vitamins w/ beta carotene -- your lighting is up to par NO coils and basking temps are being taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- these things I just mentioned will keep your dragon eating if its off he will eventually stop eating all together
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder

flights

Original Poster
KarrieRee":30zphcbe said:
What are you feeding for insects? Try feeding salads first thing in the morning w/ some BSFL on top as lures - use as many as you want DO NOT DUST them - http://www.symtonbsf.com
After about a hr or so add your staple feeder to the bowl dubias work the best - crickets you will need to pull a leg or two off -- Make sure your dusting the insect feeder w/ calcium D3 and alternating vitamins w/ beta carotene -- your lighting is up to par NO coils and basking temps are being taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- these things I just mentioned will keep your dragon eating if its off he will eventually stop eating all together
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
ATM, I'm, currently just feeding my beardie crickets, I have some bsfl worms on the way to see how he likes it, his length w/tail is about 4-6 inches I haven't gotten an exacxt, I do need to buy some vitamins to add to his insects & salad once he starts eating them :lol: I think I have a probe therm but I also have a digital that uses a laser which works fine currently, I have a basking light for day time and a ceramic heat emitter for night, I also have a uvb strip and these are all working fine, I just woke up so I'll try giving him some salad!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
flights":19pdzxen said:
KarrieRee":19pdzxen said:
ATM, I'm, currently just feeding my beardie crickets, I have some bsfl worms on the way to see how he likes it, his length w/tail is about 4-6 inches I haven't gotten an exacxt, I do need to buy some vitamins to add to his insects & salad once he starts eating them :lol: I think I have a probe therm but I also have a digital that uses a laser which works fine currently, I have a basking light for day time and a ceramic heat emitter for night, I also have a uvb strip and these are all working fine, I just woke up so I'll try giving him some salad!

You want to dust the insects not the salads-- you want him getting the calcium and vitamins and the best way to do that is dust the insects - you know hes going to eat those--- the IR gun is fine as long as your not using it on a hammock - they will not read off of a hammock - its best to have a digital prove thermometer they are the most accurate -- - heat emitter at nite is fine as long as your temps are below 65 -- you want cool temps at nite nothing over 75-- the UVB strip is what bulb- and brand --- Zillas and Thrives are not a good brand -- and placement and distance is crucial --- what are you using please?

flights

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1kmtyxax said:
flights":1kmtyxax said:
KarrieRee":1kmtyxax said:

You want to dust the insects not the salads-- you want him getting the calcium and vitamins and the best way to do that is dust the insects - you know hes going to eat those--- the IR gun is fine as long as your not using it on a hammock - they will not read off of a hammock - its best to have a digital prove thermometer they are the most accurate -- - heat emitter at nite is fine as long as your temps are below 65 -- you want cool temps at nite nothing over 75-- the UVB strip is what bulb- and brand --- Zillas and Thrives are not a good brand -- and placement and distance is crucial --- what are you using please?

My uvb strip is a zoo med I think, and I'm pretty sure at night the heat emitter keeps the heat above 75 so I may just have it off instead cause my house temp is usually around 60-70 at night, and I dont have any hammock I just have a basking rock for my dude, I'm planning on getting a 40 gallon reptile tank but I'm just going to look for a relatively cheap one on craigslist as he's in a 10 gallon temporarily. I have my basking lamp with the heat emitter on the side wiht the basking rock and the uvb strip on the right where the food and water dish is (i usually take out the water dish at night to prevent the humidity from rising too much) I'm not sure what bulb and brand it is but I'm planning on just buying a new bulb cause the current one is pretty old

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
flights":21emhbfq said:
KarrieRee":21emhbfq said:
flights":21emhbfq said:
KarrieRee":21emhbfq said:

My uvb strip is a zoo med I think, and I'm pretty sure at night the heat emitter keeps the heat above 75 so I may just have it off instead cause my house temp is usually around 60-70 at night, and I dont have any hammock I just have a basking rock for my dude, I'm planning on getting a 40 gallon reptile tank but I'm just going to look for a relatively cheap one on craigslist as he's in a 10 gallon temporarily. I have my basking lamp with the heat emitter on the side wiht the basking rock and the uvb strip on the right where the food and water dish is (i usually take out the water dish at night to prevent the humidity from rising too much) I'm not sure what bulb and brand it is but I'm planning on just buying a new bulb cause the current one is pretty old

Please check to see what that bulb is they have certain distances and placement --- is it a 18 inch that would be a T 8 and if its a T 8 the cover needs to be off that fixture and basking decor directly below it 6-8 inches --- you are going to need to upgrade that tank like yesterday--- those small tanks are hard to keep correct temps in not to mention the size of the tank being way too small -- the 10 gallon tank is going to be good for dubias to keep in ---- you need to get a Zoo Med fixture 24" they come w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used on the 10 gallon --- distance would be the same but when you upgrade that tank to a 40 I recommend bigger he will eventually outgrow that one as well -- 75-120 gallon - that 24" fixture will go right into both of them the 40 and the 75-120--- so you are only buying one fixture -- the bulb will need to be changed tho to a 10.0 Reptisun T 5 for the larger tanks -- how old is the bulb you have now? T8's last 6 months ---T 5 a year

flights

Original Poster
I know my bulb is a zoo med and its 12" so I think its a t5 but no completely sure And the basking decor is exactly 8 inches below my basking light, and I think the current bulb is like more than a year so I could just order a 24" fixture instead of replacing the bulb and I could possibly just get a 75 gallon too since It'll just be a permanent cage because I read that they can be fine in 75 gallon cage in adulthood, Could you possibly link me a 75 gallon for a reasonable price & the 24" Fixture w/the bulb ?
:D (And wdym by placement?)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Placement is where in the tank--- T 5's can sit on top of screen depending on that screen--- wide hole or fine mesh like a screen door --- as far as tank try looking on FB Marketplace or Craigslist --- for a 75 one w/ front doors --- if you happen to find one make sure you sanitize it real good w/ some Rescue found on Amazon or Zoo Meds Wipe Out --- or if you want a new tank we can recommend some that people have gotten --- I am using Zen Habitats I have two of them -- they are made out of PVC and have bamboo sides and back w/ sliding front doors made out of plexiglass - not fond of that but they are nice tanks --- people have also ordered Carolina Cages they are nice but heavy as they are made out of glass -- the Zens are light weight and easy to move --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used on the 10 gallon tank for now distance would be 6-8 inches from basking decor --- you need to have it unobstructed --

flights

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1pkasihl said:
Placement is where in the tank--- T 5's can sit on top of screen depending on that screen--- wide hole or fine mesh like a screen door --- as far as tank try looking on FB Marketplace or Craigslist --- for a 75 one w/ front doors --- if you happen to find one make sure you sanitize it real good w/ some Rescue found on Amazon or Zoo Meds Wipe Out --- or if you want a new tank we can recommend some that people have gotten --- I am using Zen Habitats I have two of them -- they are made out of PVC and have bamboo sides and back w/ sliding front doors made out of plexiglass - not fond of that but they are nice tanks --- people have also ordered Carolina Cages they are nice but heavy as they are made out of glass -- the Zens are light weight and easy to move --
this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used on the 10 gallon tank for now distance would be 6-8 inches from basking decor --- you need to have it unobstructed --

Ah, well I may think about saving up to afford a 75 gallon from Zen Habitats or just try and get one cheaper on craigslist and I'll pick up a new uvb strip, and the placement for my uvb strip is currently is just on top of a screen as I said positioned over the food and water dish on the right side of my tank then basking on the left also on the screen with the basking decor TYSM for the help! :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
flights":303s2chj said:
KarrieRee":303s2chj said:

Ah, well I may think about saving up to afford a 75 gallon from Zen Habitats or just try and get one cheaper on craigslist and I'll pick up a new uvb strip, and the placement for my uvb strip is currently is just on top of a screen as I said positioned over the food and water dish on the right side of my tank then basking on the left also on the screen with the basking decor TYSM for the help! :D
The zen is a 120 gallon -- your 12" is more than likely a T 8 -- T 5's don't come in 12" that I know of -- please get the UVB unobstructed- if you haft to put it width wise across the tank that would be fine but the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru the screen-- it's blocking 30% of the rays

flights

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2is5sqzy said:
flights":2is5sqzy said:
KarrieRee":2is5sqzy said:

The zen is a 120 gallon -- your 12" is more than likely a T 8 -- T 5's don't come in 12" that I know of -- please get the UVB unobstructed- if you haft to put it width wise across the tank that would be fine but the T 8 is not strong enough to go thru the screen-- it's blocking 30% of the rays

I'll do so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom