Am I not feeding my beardie enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: SHE HAS STARTED EATING MORE**********I have a beardie who I got two weeks ago and I think I'm not feeding her enough. If I'm lucky she eats about 7 crickets a day and I know she should be eating more. I offer her maybe four or five 3 to 5 times a day and she rarely eats them all. I know she doesn't have parasites but I'm just not sure if she just doesn't like crickets or what. I ordered dubia roaches from dubiaroaches.com and they should be getting here soon. I'm going to avoid mealworms because they cause impaction but I plan on getting black soldier fly larvae. But until those get here, who do I get her to eat more crickets?! I don't want her to be stunted. =(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The lighting in the tank is the two most important things in the tank --- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? What is the UVB your using? Brand and bulb coil or tube? Where in the tank is it? The temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- your dragon will go thru relocation stress and the eating will be off -- you need to be feeding salads as well -- ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Use the BSFL as lures to the salad bowl feed first thing in the morning you can hand feed a couple and add them to the bowl in front of him -- this will get his attention to the bowl --
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
tell me tho what your using for lighting please

anie-and-matilda

Original Poster
I am using a tube UVB bulb from the brand thrive and I'm using a heat bulb from the brand ZooMed. The Temperature in the tank is 105 degrees and it stays there pretty continuously. I offer her salads every other day or so and they consist of bell peppers, spearmint, fennel, rosemary, and occasionally sugar snap peas. I know how to get her to eat her veggies, I just wanna know how to feed her more crickets until I get the other feeders.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Thrive brand is no good --- is it a T 8 ? or a T 5 I am guessing its the T 8 -- does the hood have a reflector in it? where is it in the tank ? on top of screen?

anie-and-matilda

Original Poster
The thrive brand is just fine, I've done a ton of research on it. It's not the best but it's what I can get for now. And yes It sits on top of the screen. I want to know how to get her to eat more.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB controls the over all health and behavior of the dragon --- the Thrive brand is a clone and not a very good brand --- if you want your dragon to be healthy I would recommend getting rid of the brand and go w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb you did not say whether its a T 8 if its the T 8 on top of the screen your dragon is getting little to NO UVB soon she will quit eating all together --- the screen blocks 30% of the T 8's rays - the Reptisun is not strong enough to get thru the screen --- so w/ the Thrive brand its even worse ---- they are cheap Chinese clones -- I recommend you get the Reptisun bulb and if your fixture does not have a reflector in it I would recommend you get a new fixture as well - the reflector directs the rays downward and intensifies the rays of which is what you want --- if you are going to haft to get a new fixture I recommend you get a 24" for a 40 + gallon tank - then if you upgrade to a bigger tank that fixture would go right into it --- w/ a 24" you would need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- the T 8 bulb and T 5 bulbs have different placement and distance requirements ----- the T 8 inside the tank w/ NO obstruction 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- the T 5 has options depending on the screen ---- those UVB and basking temps are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in that tank --- I cannot stress that enough

anie-and-matilda

Original Poster
I know that I need to get a better one and I said that, but I currently don't have any access to better UVB. But having crappy UVB is better than having none. I need to know how to get her to eat more. I know thrive is not the best and I've known that for a long time but it's the only thing I can get right now, I just need to know how I can get her to eat more. :/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You wont ---- she will not eat w/ out proper UVB --- get a Reptisun bulb $20 at petco or petsmart get it in the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor --- the UVB helps her absorb / synthesize the calcium she is taking in -- it is extremely important for her to have this -- it prevents MBD --- among other health issues --- I dont know if that fixture has a reflector on it or not you didnt say but that is really important as well like I stated in myn last post --- once you get the UVB fixed and I am assuming the basking temps are correct -- 105-110 for a baby taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- she cannot digest her food w/ out proper temps ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom