New dragon not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossinn

Our 9 week old dragon has been here approximately 24 hours now. When we first put him in his cage, after travel, he ate approx. 4-5 dubias and 4-5 superworms.

This morning, his lights automatically turned on at 7:00 AM. He didn’t eat when we offered at 7:30 AM, and I assumed he was not warm enough yet.

Three hours later he’s still not interested in eating anything (crickets or dubias).

The temp at the highest point of his basking spot is about 100 degrees. I have a higher wattage bulb, but I’m not sure what is the hottest we can go (if 100 is too low, how much is too high?).

I currently have the bowl of crickets in the cage, but I don’t think he yet associates the bowl with food (doesn’t know they’re in there). He’s currently pancaked on a lower portion of the log, presumably trying to heat up. Should I leave crickets in bowl or take them back out?

I’m assuming he could be in shock from his travels, and will eat when hungry? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Hossinn

Original Poster
12:30 PM and still won't eat anything.

I finally thought he may be dehydrated and fed him water, one drop at a time, from the tip of my finger. He "chomped" on the water, but seems very lethargic...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He ate alot the first day --- sounds like he was / is dehydrated keep giving him water till he stops licking --- he is going thru relocation stress --- keep an eye on him keep offering him the crickets one at a time ---- do not leave crickets in the tank --- find all of them and take them out - they will come out at nite and bite on him causing a possible infection -- dubias would be ok to leave but not crickets -- let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings meaning no holding for now --- as long as your basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and the UVB is properly placed he should be ok --- NO hotter than 110--- but you want the temps in that range -- you may have to do some decor adjusting first --- if thats not fixing the problem then go to a lower wattage bulb --

Hossinn

Original Poster
We're coming up on 48 hours post-delivery and he still hasn't eaten anything (since initially eating out of the box). Kinda stressful for the new owner, but perhaps normal with relocation stress...?

Is this the type of digital thermometer you're referring to? This is what we're using, and we're at about 101 degrees. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY3X7P9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I dangle the insect in front of him, he doesn't seem afraid of the tongs or my hand, he just seems completely uninterested...he will even close his eyes. He's definitely not in the mood to "hunt", so I can't drop the insect on the enclosure floor. I don't think he'll know to look in his food bowl, so I can't put them there. I think my only option is to continue dangling them in front of him.

We have dubias and BSFL coming today, maybe that will interest him more...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Where is the probe? It needs to sit on the spot where he basks- 10 minutes- get temp- is he basking? The UVB is properly placed as well I know we went over all this before you got him-- his behavior what is he doing?

Hossinn

Original Poster
KarrieRee":22z1fjm3 said:
Where is the probe? It needs to sit on the spot where he basks- 10 minutes- get temp- is he basking? The UVB is properly placed as well I know we went over all this before you got him-- his behavior what is he doing?

Hi Karrie.

- Probe is sitting on highest spot of basking area. Reading approx. 101 degrees, consistently.
- He is basking. Sometimes on highest spot, sometimes on lower spot.
- I believe the UVB is properly placed...It's sitting at 13"-14" above basking area.
- Behavior wise, he seems fine. Sometimes basking/relaxing. Sometimes cruising around the enclosure. He lifts and turns his head, and watches us when we come in the room. He's pooping regularly. He shows zero interest in bugs, whether we're dangling them in front of him or we place them on the enclosure floor...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so hes doing good --- as long as hes active and pooping and basking -- the eating will come let him settle in just let him adjust to his tank and surroundings -- keep offering him his food salads w/ the BSFL on them and then his staple feeder --- hes going thru relocation stress -- he will be fine hes got everything properly placed --

Hossinn

Original Poster
Well, he ate (1) dubia roach today, so that’s a small victory. He still hasn’t eaten any that are dangling in front of him (dubias, crickets, or small supers), or the dubias in the feeding dish, but I tossed one on the rock he was posted up on and he went for it. I was hoping he’d eat more but I’m just being patient.

I read that dragons closing their eyes is a sign of discomfort or irritation, which he’s doing when I dangle insects in front of him. He’s also closing his eyes while basking, which I feel is because he’s content...? The UVB is 14” away so I don’t think (I hope) he’s closing his eyes to shield them from the brightness.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Closing of the eyes is a sign of trust ---- when they are basking its a sign of relaxing and taking in the heat etc --- hes eating something thats a plus just give him time

Hossinn

Original Poster
After a 5-day eating strike, he went nuts this morning, chasing down crickets and dubias like they were going out of style! He ate about 5 crickets and 3 dubias. I think lunch time is going to be a slaughter!

Thanks for all the help, with these new parents, on so many various topics! :)

Hossinn

Original Poster
KarrieRee":17kbi1i3 said:
Make sure your offering salads please too

Yes! While he started hunting insects today, the salads don't provide much of a hunt and he has not yet expressed interest.

dubiaroaches.com didn't get my order right and failed to send the BSFL (but they are making it right and sending today)...I'm hoping that's what will help make the salad more inviting.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes hand feed 5-6 then add to the salad in front of him / her put the salad bowl right in front of him/ her so he/ she sees you do this

Hossinn

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1sobtct7 said:
Yes hand feed 5-6 then add to the salad in front of him / her put the salad bowl right in front of him/ her so he/ she sees you do this

Okay, excellent. When you say "hand feed", do you literally mean holding between your fingers, or do you use tongs?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I did both--- you dont want him eating only from tongs cuz then he will expect only tongs so do both --- I fed Blaze out of my fingers/ or on my fingers --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom