Feeding Schedule and Feeder Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossinn

Hello. I have an 8 week dragon coming on Wednesday. It’s been eating 15-25 1/4” crickets and some Small Superworms. I’m intending to transition to Dubias.

- Would this size cricket equate to 1/4” dubias?

- Do I want to continue with 15-25 dubias per feeding (or as many as it will eat in 10-15 minutes), which would equate to needing approximately 75 dubias/day (525/week)?

- My understanding is that these are very hearty. That said, is it reasonable to think I can order a month’s worth (2,000), or is it recommend to order fewer, more often?

- Should I throw in some BSFL in the mix, or just keep it simple with dubias, to get started?

- If BSFL, do I want the Medium size, and how many per feeding, if already feeding the above 15-25 dubias?

Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For now until the crickets are there and the dragon you need to go by the side of the dragons head- you dont want anything bigger than the space between his eyes length wise-- if you need more help post when you get the dragon and pic of the dragon- yes I would get some BSFL they are pretty small so I would say start w/ medium size and get as many as you want -- use them as a secondary staple feeder -- use those as lures to the salad bowl - you want him started on salads ASAP- add them to the salad bowl in front of him your going to need a bowl like this so the worms and insects cant get out- the small super worms are also good to lure him to that salad bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
DO NOT dust the BSFL --- only your dubias / crickets -- only feed 1-3 small super worms add them on top of his salads as well as lures--- feed the salad first thing in the morning after he has time to warm up and then like a hr or so of feeding the salads add your roaches / crickets you will need to disable them by taking a leg off so they cant jump out of the bowl so your dubias are going to work better and yes they are more nutritional -- the best place for dubias is www.dubiaroaches.com there you can get small super worms -- you will need to order like first thing in the morning as they are now limited on how many they are sending out per day--- when ordering the dubias I would get a 10 gallon aquarium and order dubia food and crystal pellets for hydration I think they call it dubia dew --- you can also feed them carrots squash fruit -- what ever you feed the roaches your dragon is getting -- I keep around 200 roaches in my 10 gallon -- w/ the salads the BSFL and your worms hes gonna fill up- use as many BFSL as you want - but I am thinking he will eat about 15-20 roaches now - your roaches are going to be more filling than the crickets -- I would start out w/ 15 in the morning see how many he eats if he eats more add like 5 more -- go from there as he gets older and the roaches get bigger he will eat less of them -- you can also feed silk worms that is a staple as well you can mix them w/ your other staple feeder give variety - along w/ other worms as he gets bigger being he is so small I would hold off w/ the horn worms -- NO meal worms right now they are too hard on the stomachs and can cause impaction -- butter worms are good but stay w / your small super worms for now -- 1-3 only-- make sure your dusting the insects w/ your calcium D3 ONCE PER FEEDING 5 x per week and your vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE PER FEEDING-- he only needs salads once per day and protein 2 times per day so you should have a second feeding of insects again in the afternoon --- by the time Blaze was around 4 months he was down to once per day feeding - but I was also giving butter worms / super worms / silk worms at around 4 months old so w/ the salads and the BSFL and the worms and the dubias he was not eating again in the afternoon -- if you need more help please ask

Hossinn

Original Poster
Hi Karrie. I so much appreciate all of your replies, especially this most recent regarding feeders.

Can you direct me to any videos/instructionals regarding the process of:

- storing dubias
- removing the dubias intended to use for a single feeding
- dusting the dubias
- placing the dubias in the enclosure

Whenever I search for things like "storing dubias", "preparing dubias for feeding", etc. the majority of what shows up are videos on "Breeding Dubias" (I may do that some day, but not at this time).

I'm trying to visualize:

- if I have my dubias in a shoebox-sized container, with egg carton material enclosed, how will I scoop out the 25 or so that I want to powder and feed?
- Do you then put them in a separate container for dusting?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Store your dubias in a 10 gallon aquarium or plastic tote ---- get some dubia food place in a small dish for food and a water dish for dubia dew / crystals etc--- you can also feed carrots or squash etc--- I would order like 200 small for a baby dragon --- check on www.dubiaroaches.com look at the size of your dragons head and compare w/ the chart shown --- your roach should not be bigger than the size between the dragons eyes length wise --- use tweezers to get the roaches out of the tank - place them in a small disposable container like a potato salad container you get from the store w/ your calcium D3- put them in there and shake them lightly coated -- you dont want them looking like a powder donut-- do the same w/ the vitamins - a shoe box is not going to work they will get out of the container- you can get a 10 gallon glass aquarium on craigslist cheap - any more questions please ask

Hossinn

Original Poster
Do you just use a typical aquarium screen on top of aquarium?

It could take a long time to grab each small roach with tweezers...just part of the fun?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its not that bad I did it - use tongs -- yes you can get a 10 gallon screen from the pet store most sell them or order one --- I have one on mine for purposes of keeping the cats out --- for some reason they like to get in there and sit yuck -- so I have a screen on mine just for that other wise you dont need one -- they cant get out

Hossinn

Original Poster
I bought a 10 gallon aquarium (20" wide), then realized it doesn't fit in my 19" wide cabinet.

If I'm going to need 50-75 dubias/day (350-525/week), would this cricket keeper be good to hold them? https://www.premiumcrickets.com/Products/Small-Keeper__SmallKeeper.aspx

My local pet shop was selling dubias for a ridiculous price, so I only bought 25, to hopefully tide us over until the online order arrives.

Also, the pet store only had Medium superworms. If the dragon has been eating small superworms, do you think I should try the mediums, or is that not a good idea?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No hes not going to be able to eat that medium super worm stay w/ smalls for now about 3 months he should be able to eat medium -- your going from 10 gallon to 6 gallon and I keep 200 in a 10 gallon I would say its not going to be big enough - well maybe for the small roaches it might be okay but as the roaches get bigger NO -- you are better off getting the super worms on line - they are going to be cheaper --- www.dubiaroaches.com should have small and they do I checked and they are $2 a cup--

NYBeardie

I've had success keeping hundreds (600-800) of the smalls and mediums stored in this container https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-6-Qt-Storage-Box-16426A60/308820126 from home depot, especially when they're going through the food in their ravenous pig-out eating stage.

For better conditions, I cut a decent sized hole in the top and hot glued an aluminum screen over it (from the outside in case they try to eat the glue) for ventilation, otherwise it would get too humid in there and make the egg crates and waste wet. I put some duct tape over the glue just to make it more visually appealing than a bunch of dried glue.

Once I got to the larger sizes (3/4" +), I found some guys would escape, so put thin weather insulation https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-K...y-Vinyl-Foam-Weatherseal-Tape-V443H/100205904 along the top edge of the bin to help make a snug seal so nothing could escape. Haven't had any prison breaks since doing this.

I clean it once a month, maybe? I just transfer all the bugs to another container, clean and dry the bug container, then put everything back in.

I simply feed carrots, squash, greens, apples/bananas...whatever is on hand. I give some protein to them on occasion, but not often. I don't use the blue crystals and I rarely have any dead ones (<1 a week).

Hope that helps!

Hossinn

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply.

It sounds as though this container will work to house Dubias. This container is "weathertight", so I'm hoping the additional weather insulation will not be necessary: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084GXJNBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got these vents. Was planning on putting one on top and one on side...good idea?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ED6MA18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

when you say "blue crystals" are you referring to water crystals?

Kingston

Hey, I raise my own dubia roaches so I know a great and cheap place to get them. I recommend looking on amazon and try to look for high ratings. I also would warn you, DO NOT buy to many to soon, the ones your bearded dragon doesn't eat will die and be a waste of money if you buy to many. Just buy an amount you think isn't overboard, or not enough, because they take about a week to deliver. Also, if you don't want to look online, The Serpentarium is a great and affordable option, but keep in mind amazon is cheaper.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom