Can I feed organic spring mix every day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Hopefully this can be a staple food- it is a great way to get a BUNCH of variety in one "package", much less waste, etc. If I were to buy the 15 greens/veggies I have listed below, I am not sure my family would even get through it while it is fresh- and we incorporate a lot of veggies into our cooking. This would be really nice, but what works best for him is the most important.

Organic Josie's Spring Mix, non-gmo

includes:
Baby lettuces: (green leaf, green oak, lolla rosa, red leaf, red oak, tango)

Baby greens:(arugula, green chard, kale, mizuna, red chard, spinach, tatsoi)

As well as frisee, and radicchio.
It also says "ingredients may vary"- but we've purchased this forever for salads and it doesn't seem to change.

I am going to be honest- I haven't heard of tatsoi, frisee, tango, or mizuna.
I looked up mizuna- "Japanese mustard greens".
frisee- "curly endive/variation of endive".

What do you think? Can I use this as everyday greens? Maybe toss in collards, for good measure?(though he seems bored of them).
(this doesn't include veggies).

Unfortunately, a lot of those greens aren't the best for dragons. Lettuces should never be offered. Spinach, and even kale, isn't great for them either. I don't know about some of the others, but my point is that I would avoid the spring mix.

The best staple greens are collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, and watercress. What I personally do when grocery shopping is I'll buy a different bunch each trip. I'll get a collard bunch one trip, and my dragons will get them for a few days. Next trip I'll get a dandelion bunch, and then the next trip something else, etc.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
winkydinks":3qb5ifgs said:
Unfortunately, a lot of those greens aren't the best for dragons. Lettuces should never be offered. Spinach, and even kale, isn't great for them either. I don't know about some of the others, but my point is that I would avoid the spring mix.

The best staple greens are collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, and watercress. What I personally do when grocery shopping is I'll buy a different bunch each trip. I'll get a collard bunch one trip, and my dragons will get them for a few days. Next trip I'll get a dandelion bunch, and then the next trip something else, etc.

Darn- I wish there was a greens mix, it'd make it easy, cost effective, healthy for him, and less wasteful. Well, thanks- I'll try your method. My BD seems entirely bored of the veggies I give him- he won't touch them- I haven't given him any greens other than collard+mustard in his life, and veggies he usually doesn't touch- I've offered acorn+butternut squash many times, and I don't think he even tasted it. I've offered cactus pad, which he liked a little, tasted it 1/3 times I bought it. I've also offered bell peppers, carrots, etc- which he also doesn't touch.

He's about 1.5 years, too, so it isn't a great thing that he is eating practically no veggies. I'm trying though. But, the other day, I gave him a small amount of iceberg and cucumber, among other "samples" for him to try. I know that cucumber is a rare treat, and iceberg is almost always a no, because of the water, but I wanted to see what he would think of them. Unfortunately, those are the only veggies he went for. Does that mean he is dehydrated, or just that he wanted to try the new ones?

Cucumbers and iceberg have a "milder" scent compared to bell peppers and squash.... idk.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
winkydinks":30s0aur6 said:

What do you do for staple veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom