Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie, Ebrietas hasn't had a great appetite lately. It's been a month since she finished her parasite meds and is now parasite free. Her poops are finally back to normal (the were just giant piles of mush for a while.) But lately when I go to feed her (I tong feed her crickets, she's spoiled and won't hunt much), she will eat a couple and when I go in with the next one she act like she wants to go for it but just won't. And that's it then we're done after 15/20 minutes of this. She also doesn't seem like she's really growing much anymore. She's about 6 months old, I don't have a scale so I'm not sure how much she weighs. Back in February when I took her to the vet she weighed 96grams.
I've looked at her mouth for sores and it looks normal.
She has a 100watt MVB, a 100watt basking lamp her basking areas read at 107 with my temp gun. She has access to water. I dust with calcium every day, calcium with d3 once a week. I'm not sure what's going on, does it sound like she needs to go to the vet? Anyone experience this?
Also, she eats her greens every day, except today she kind of just threw it all over her tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
200 watts for heat is A LOT--- what brand of MVB are you using? Also what are you using for a basking decor ? If its a hammock your getting incorrect basking temps --- IR guns cannot read off of hammocks

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
I have a bunch of big logs she likes to climb to the top to bask on. Her hot side is 90 degrees and the cool side is around 70-75. The MVB doesn't put out that much heat which is why I have an additional basking area with a regular heat bulb. The MVB is made by Mega Ray.
She does also have a hammock though.
Here is a photo of her I just took a second ago.
109981-1223020885.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Mega Ray is a good bulb --- but her basking spot should be 95-110 for a juvenile dragon -- baby 105-110- 100 watt should be a distance of 12" - please adjust your height and see if the temp goes up-- but make sure your using a probe digital thermometer to get a accurate temp- then we need to talk about extra UVB--- it may be ok for a the 12" distance but sometimes when adjusting to higher heights for temps throws the UVB off and they dont get enough but I am going to wait to see what your getting for temps w/ the 12" adjustment

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
Her basking area is 107. Her MVB bulb is 12 inches away from her secondary "basking spot" but doesn't get hot enough which is why I got a heat bulb as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so you can either get rid of the 100 watt bulb and go to a 160 MVB or shut the MVB off and see what your getting w/ one basking bulb that your using and get a long tube fixture for your UVB-- personally I would get rid of the MVB all together because if you go to the 160 watt bulb your gonna haft to raise the height of it to 14-16 inches w/ a screen or leave on the screen and have the basking decor 8-10 inches -- I get so confused w/ these MVB's -- either way you want your temps correct along w/ the UVB --- w/out them being correct she wont eat and get sick from not having the proper UVB --

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
I was using. T8 bulb before but my vet told me to use the MVB. It's been nothing but a headache trying to figure out where I can put it in the tank so that she gets the UVB but it isn't too hot etc. I'm thinking about just buying a t5.
Do you have a T5 ballast and bulb that you recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Depends on the screen -- the T 5 can go on top of the screen if the screen is a wide hole type-- if its a fine mesh like a screen door it will need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- I can post stuff to hang if you need it

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
I can put it on top, I have the wider hole heavier duty screen lid. Should I just have the light near the back, allowing it to just do it's thing? Or should I position it closer to her basking light. Thanks for the help!

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
Oh I see, directly above the basking decor.. hmm I'm going to have to find a way to hang it above the screen then because she really loves her logs and that distance is not enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is optimal to have it closer to the basking light but sometimes cannot be done if not hang it as close to it as possible --- she is going to go to the light she needs ---my two do it all the time-- my UVB's are in the center front of tank in the 90's part- the basking end is hotter of course and they go back and forth between the two -- w/ the screen the wider hole type test it there and see how she does I dont like the words heavier screen --- if you can post a pic of it that would be good --- the distance would be 8-10 inches then on top for the basking decor to sit directly underneath

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
Heavy duty compared to what you're describing as screen door screen. I'll upload a pic.
So what I'm concerned about with her and I'm not sure this has anything to do with the light is;
She acts like she wants to eat, she gets excited and opens her mouth with her little tongue sticking out likes she's going to eat the cricket.. then she stops, closes her mouth and ignores it. It also sounds like she has dry mouth or something like her mouth is sticky. The inside doesn't weird (I don't think) like mouth rot or anything. Also sometimes when she does eat a cricket she chews kind of weird like her mouth is irritated or something. Idk what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom