How to put calcium powder into water-based “omnivore mix”

Status
Not open for further replies.

gev13

I recently bought Zilla omnivore mix, which is different sorts of freeze-dried bugs (silk worm pupas, crickets) and vegetables (bok choy, carrots, peas, green beans and more) that you add water to, and it becomes a cereal-like dish. So far it seems to have been a good choice. I’m no expert on food, and I’ve seen commercial food looked down on, but he seems to like this a whole lot. The only issue is that I can’t feed this too often as I’m not sure how to apply calcium powder to the mix. Would I just add it before pouring the water into the bowl, or would I let each ingredient soak up the water and then apply it? Or is this whole set up faulty anyway? Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Calcium powder is mostly used as a supplement to make up for lack of calcium and minerals in captive bugs that we offer them (that they would otherwise have in the wild). I'm not sure that you need to add anything to an omnivore mix that is likely already balanced pretty well by design.

gev13

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3jbqms0k said:
Calcium powder is mostly used as a supplement to make up for lack of calcium and minerals in captive bugs that we offer them (that they would otherwise have in the wild). I'm not sure that you need to add anything to an omnivore mix that is likely already balanced pretty well by design.

Oh wow okay. Good to know. Thanks for the response

WildMountain

Yeah, commercial diets are best fed unsupplemented. Beardies are little guys at the end of the day, and the risk of overdosing on vitamins and minerals is high if offered improperly.

Thant said, in the future if you are looking to supplement calcium on a water based food, there are better options than calcium carbonate, which is what is often in the calcium powders. Calcium acetate(easily made at home with cleaned egg shells and distilled white vinegar) is water soluble and is quite bioavailable. I have also seen liquid calcium supplements sold more and more widespread these days, you could try one of those options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom