Slurry for elderly beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiliaT

Hi so my Cleopatra is 12 years old and the pickiest water you will ever meet. She only eats butternut squash that I have to physically put between her lips so that she will eat them. She is old and had a very bad life until I got her a year ago so she is allowed to be picky. Someone did suggest that I could feed her slurries to help give her some nutrients that she may be missing. The problem is I do not know how to make one even though I’ve tried it just never come out looking right and I can never get the veggies to fully combine together. So I’m wondering if any one could help me figure out a good recipe or help me find out what I’m doing wrong so that Cleo can get a more balanced diet please and thank you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My guy eats mostly squash too. Loves zucchini and yellow squash as well as butternut. Since she likes squash I'd probably keep that as a large portion of her diet. It would be good to add in a couple of others like bell pepper or green beans perhaps. I'd also add in some dark greens like collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, or maybe kale. Just rotate what you offer based on what looks good at the store.

I used to make slurries for one of my rescue dragons. What I did is put the veges in a blender with some water and pureed it. Once it's mixed well and there aren't any big chunks left, I put it through a kitchen strainer/sieve. The large pieces left over can go into a smoothie or something. Then I ran the rest through some cheesecloth to remove some of the excess water. I did this until the remaining slurry is about the consistency of baby food. This allows it to move through a plastic syringe or dropper easily. It usually kept well in the refrigerator for about a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom