Not a good eater so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisbetha

Hey guys,

Our new little man, Mazdamundi, isn't the best at feeding. At 3 months old, I'd expect him to be gorging on feeders, but he's either very finicky or still settling in.

I've caught him taking greens on occasion and is happy to take grubs in his bowl (mostly light BSF with the occasional small mealworm), but he seems to have no interest in cricket nymphs. I've gotten him to take maybe 3 in the week and a half we've had him home.

Some days it seems like he's really dug into the dried crickets and pellets while others it seems he's barely touched his bowl aside from all the grubs seemingly Mia, but they may have crawled out and gotten lost in the reptile carpet, which I haven't pulled up to check recently.

I've set up.a feeder bin (with about 10 cricket nymphs) with a resin log so he doesn't have to be 'amongst' them and try to leave him there in the afternoon when I refresh his bowl (mostly removing wilted greens). Sometimes he explores, but mostly, he's keen to get out when I get back and doesn't seem interested in hunting.

Our crickets definitely bite, so I'm reluctant to leave them in his cage, but thats the only place I've ever gotten him to take them. My previous beardie was much hungrier at this age.

He's plump and active enough, just worried he's stunting his growth. Heat is adequate, but he's on a 38w 150 coil bulb for UV at the moment - it's plenty close enough (maybe 6in from basking spot in a reptoglow fixture, no meat or glass in between) but I still don't like the thing. It's just temporary though while I finish his big Viv. Still have to seal the grout, then he'll be on a fresh T5 dragon tube in there.

Should I be worried about his peckishness, or do you think he'll grow out of it? I've started a farm and have over 100 appropriate sized crickets to feed out - if only he'd eat them :/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The coil could be the reason hes not eating real good -- plus relocation stress -- how long before the new tank is done? But I recommend you get him under the T 5 ASAP- its imperative to his health

lisbetha

Original Poster
Yeah, I know the coils aren't great. I bought that one ages ago as a backup/med light and have hardly used it. I know it could be contributing, but no way to set up the t5 with his current as that one's almost a metre long and is a hanging bulb style. Haves special reflectors bolted into the main cage for it. Also worried about it possibly being stress as he's still stress barring on occasion in his baby cage, but funnily enough, not when out and handled.

Poor man may not be through a shed yet too - tail is looking a bit dull and not sure if he shed it already before we picked him up or not, but assuming no from the color - was super thirsty on day 2 with us. Took almost 2ml from a dropper.

He's definitely eating consistently, just not as much as I'd like and not the live crickets - prolly found out he can fill up on solder flies and the occasional berries and is snubbing the healthy food. Feeder crickets are at a premium at the moment - the supply on dry and live has been spotty since first lockdown so not sure how much he was getting before - I know the breeder was running low as well, so may have been relying more on dry.

For his Viv...

Only things left are sealing the grout, which will only take maybe 3 hours to dry nontoxic. Need to put in some additional wood skirting to pretty things up a bit - only the bit across the front glass 'needs' to be in before baby so he can't fall between levels (is a 1200x1200x600 getting split into 2 levels.) Top is desert/basking area and the bottom is a den/cave, but I'll block that area off for now. Still waiting on hammocks to come from overseas and need to fill some voids, but shouldn't need to put in any more potentially toxic stuff, so almost there.

Will move him in when the top is done and get him settled in, so he'll go across maybe tomorrow.

lisbetha

Original Poster
We'll, looks like he just wasn't settled in yet.

My hubby has demanded I now paint the grout like a Warhammer diorama before Mazdamundi moves in so he's still waiting on moving over, but his appetite perked up yesterday. He finally accepted a dried mealworm offered by hand and went into 'hunt mode' before lights out yesterday. Smashed about 6 crickets before bedtime - not the best time to be eating, but beggars can't be choosers. Looks like he prefers them 'in' his baby Viv and not the feeder bin, so looks like I'll have to risk a possible nip or two if they go rogue for now and hope moving Viv's doesn't put him off them again.

Also, looks like he always smashes his greens when there's hibiscus petals involved. He hasn't discovered the joys of dandelions yet. We offered, but he let them wilt.
Really enjoying starting his day with a bowl of wriggly BSFL - now if I can get him to take his crickets at a more respectable hour.

Luckily, I'll have the holiday weekend to get that done. In NZ, we get a 4 day weekend and, aside from a few hours of volunteer work at bird rescue, I have no other commitments.

He's definitely coming out of his shell tho, licking more and more keen on exploring - at one point, the cat pounced at his dinner (through the glass)and his reaction was to wave! 'Ok, you take my food giant beast...' was so adorable.

I think the cat has come to realise he's not edible... Tho she 'really' wants to eat his food - crickets and kibble - she only seems to acknowledge him when he's in the Viv too. My cat's weird and doesn't acknowledge his existence outside the cage, even when I take him out in front of her. ? Or maybe she thinks now that his food's been left unguarded...

She squeezed in there once while he was out and the lid was off - caught her raiding the food dish. Such a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom