Adult bearded dragon not eating veggies at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, I have maybe a two year old bearded dragon? Not quite sure because I adopted her as a rescue, someone abandoned her in their apartment and she was fully grown when I got her, anyways onto the topic, I’ve always had trouble getting her to eat veggies, she doesn’t seem to like fruit either, the taste of fruit seems to turn her away. She doesn’t mind carrots but it’s the only thing I’ve found she’s okay with so far and even then I still have to make her eat it. I gently press a thin slice of carrot against her lips, and eventually she’ll eat it even if she does not like eating veggies. She doesn’t like any other veggies, I’ve tried quite a few that are safe for them to eat. She’ll eat bugs perfectly fine but doesn’t eat too many, she ate maybe 10 crickets today and that’s it. She ate her veggies and was disgusted at the taste of strawberry and spit it out. I’ve tried tricking her into thinking veggies are bugs but it just doesn’t work, she knows they aren’t. She has a salad in her tank for her everyday, never touches it. She has proper lighting and everything she needs, I couldn’t tell you what exactly her lighting is though. I know that’s not affecting her appetite though, she has lots of ubv light, and enjoys spending her time under those bulbs. I honestly don’t know what to do because I’ve just always had to make her eat veggies and I don’t want eating to become a negative thing for her. I’ve been offering her sugar free veggie and fruit only baby food in a syringe as an alternative just to get some veggies in her as she needed the nutrients and she seemed to like it but I don’t want to be giving it to her all the time because I know it’s not good for them. I’ve tried lots of veggies and she doesn’t seem to like them. I really don’t know how I can get her to eat veggies on her own or at least be okay with eating it and not hate the experience
108368-7388810902.jpg
that image was her reaction to her salad this morning, mostly veggies only one cut up strawberry which she didn’t touch. I cut the food smaller before I put it in her tank to eat on her own

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Order some of these for her salads BSFL https://symtonbsf.com/ order large do not dust them- use as many as you want --
Place on top of her salads in front of her hand feed her a couple of them -- do this first thing in the morning feeding--
Please go over the UVB is it a coil or a tube? Basking temps are 95-110- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?
I would get her some dubia roaches as well --- they are a great staple feeder - www.dubiaroahes.com
horn worms are a great hydrating worm -- how is she getting water?

Fluflepuff

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1olomwoa said:
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Order some of these for her salads BSFL https://symtonbsf.com/ order large do not dust them- use as many as you want --
Place on top of her salads in front of her hand feed her a couple of them -- do this first thing in the morning feeding--
Please go over the UVB is it a coil or a tube? Basking temps are 95-110- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?
I would get her some dubia roaches as well --- they are a great staple feeder - http://www.dubiaroahes.com
horn worms are a great hydrating worm -- how is she getting water?

Her lights are two large coil bulbs I tbink, saving up for tube ones though my friend told me they’re better for her, her basking is about 104, and sometimes she just straight up drinks water out of her water dish? She also gets water from her liquid vitamins and sometimes the veggies I can get her to eat. Also thank you for the links :) I’ve been interested in the roaches but I was worried they will bite her

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That would be the crickets that bite not the roaches
UVB this is EXTREMELY important --- GET RID of the coils - you have two of them? Is the one coil a basking bulb? If it is I recommend you get rid of that too and get a solid bright white basking bulb like thishttps://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202 a 22" -- they are out of stock but you can find it on line from another store -- or try your local pet stores for that bulb ---- the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used as a back up - distance and placement for the bulbs in important--- you want to get this UVB like yesterday- coils are totally inadequate and I just cannot express the importance of this light- it controls the over all health and behavior of the dragon- basically your dragon is not getting any UVB --- the basking temps and UVB are the two most important things in the tank

Fluflepuff

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1m9yvbgo said:
That would be the crickets that bite not the roaches
UVB this is EXTREMELY important --- GET RID of the coils - you have two of them? Is the one coil a basking bulb? If it is I recommend you get rid of that too and get a solid bright white basking bulb like thishttps://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/exo-terra-intense-basking-spot-light-14809.html?cgid=500202 a 22" -- they are out of stock but you can find it on line from another store -- or try your local pet stores for that bulb ---- the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb that can be used as a back up - distance and placement for the bulbs in important--- you want to get this UVB like yesterday- coils are totally inadequate and I just cannot express the importance of this light- it controls the over all health and behavior of the dragon- basically your dragon is not getting any UVB --- the basking temps and UVB are the two most important things in the tank

Oh thank you, I didn’t know the coils were that bad, I bought them for the meantime because I don’t have enough to buy the case for the tube lights yet, I didn’t know the coils could be the cause though, neither are her basking bulbs,I got two for the cool side since they don’t heat up too much and she enjoyed spending her time there. I appriciate the help I’ll have to get her those ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom