Should my baby be eating more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I picked up my 6 week old beardie on Saturday, he's been eating but just wondering if he's (sex unknown but habit if saying he) eating enough.

So he's ate about 6 each day and today he ate 12 but then turns away and doesn't want anymore even if held infront of him. He's eating plenty salad as well and very active during the day.

He does like to hide below his bridge in his basking spot rather than on top of the bridge.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its good hes eating -- its called relocation stress so his eating will be off - your UVB does it have a reflector on it and what is the bulb your using? A T 8 or a T 5 and the brand please---- they have certain distances for the bulbs themselves

Keelmarie26

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3dvdf17z said:
Its good hes eating -- its called relocation stress so his eating will be off - your UVB does it have a reflector on it and what is the bulb your using? A T 8 or a T 5 and the brand please---- they have certain distances for the bulbs themselves

The breeder who sold us the set up gave us this bulb and told us to put it where we have it.

It's exo terra reptile bulb and I dont think it has a reflector on it. T8 I think, sorry this is my first beardie baby so I'm just want to know I'm doing the best for biscuit.

110788-7401664443.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so what I recommend is getting a fixture w/ a reflector as of now hes probably getting very little UVB - the reflector is going to reflect the rays downward and that is what you want along w / intensity -- like the sun-- what is the height of your tank? If its 18 inches then I would recommend getting the Arcadia 12% bulb Desert or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 both are really good bulbs and for a fixture length 24" -- mount the fixture directly over him w / a distance of 12-15 inches -- this UVB is extremely important to him -- his over all health and behavior depends on this bulb -- you want to do this right away hes little and its crucial he has the good UVB now since hes so young and developing-- if your tank is only 16" high go w/ the Arcadia 10% Desert or a Repetisun 10.0 T 8 and that distance would be 6-8 inches directly above him -- please let me know what your tank height is

Keelmarie26

Original Poster
115 x 49 x56cm is the dimentions for the Viv, I've measured the bulb and it's 12inch from the bottom of the bulb to the floor of the Viv.

So it's even closer to him if he's sitting on his rock cave, branch or bridge. He tends to sit on the rock cave for a good while and then moves to under his bridge in the afternoon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So your tank is approx 80 gallon tank w/ a height of 22 inches - I would get the Arcadia 12% Desert bulb its a great bulb and get it into a fixture w/ reflector a 24" -- you want him to be able to get out of those rays w/ out having to hide from them -- https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-kit-desert-12/
try here not sure what the length is on this fixture but you want like a 24 "

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What size crickets are they ?
smaller-crickets-sizes.png

This is important.

If the hatchling is only 6 weeks old, then 6 to 8 x 7mm size crickets per meal ( and 3 meals per day ) is good.

Now if the crickets are only 3mm or 4mm size , that's not enough protein per meal.

Keelmarie26

Original Poster
The shop we bought thrm from has them listed as medium, look to be mix if the 5mm to 7mm ones.

We also bought some locusts as that's why he's so been fed before we got this.

Photos of the bugs below

110788-826895526.jpg
110788-2690075133.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom