dubia roaches and worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo8175

Hi. In two weeks, my son will have his first pet and Im not sure how many insects to buy. I talked to the breeder and he says the male beardie is 5 months old and is ready for 1/2" dubias. The breeder has been feeding him dubias and superworms. At this point, I don't want to start my own colony but I want to have enough so I'm not ordering food every week. How many dubias should I order at a time and if I plan on getting some phoenix worms, should I get large ones and how many should I order?

Any online store recommendations?

Thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, lots of people recommend this site.

http://www.dubiaroaches.com/

Hopefully they'll have what you need. For Bsfl go large size, they are not a large grub. Try to order at least 100 roaches and 200 or so superworms. Those can be used a few at a time as part of the diet and will live for months , even a year if you set them up right. Just get a plastic storage container about the size of a large shoe box and add an inch of oatmeal or bran [ or both ] you can mix in a tablespoon of reptile vit. like Repashy and then a few chunks of white or sweet potato . Keep them at room temp., no lid needed because they can't climb out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I keep my roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium tank and feed dubia food and water crystals alone w/ carrots squash and some apple -- and yes order lots of roaches they last a long time like 200 - the 5 month will eat about 10-12 of them if your feeding salads too - that is a must -- along w / 1-3 super worms on top of the salads - no more you dont want him hooked on the super worms- I would also look at getting some BSFl to add to the top of that salad to lure him to the salad bowl - you can get a bowl like this that will keep them in it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
To be honest your going to haft to be the one to take care of the dragon -- they are too complex for a child to take care of them --- make sure your husbandry is correct w/ the lighting -- it is the most important thing in that tank --- it controls the over all health and behavior of the dragon
basking temps 105-110 for a baby and 95-110 for a juvie/ adult dragon taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate and NO coil UVB's --- long tube fixtures please like a Zoo Med Sunblaster or Arcadia w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for tanks of 40+ gallon --
No colored bulbs NO heat mats or heat rocks --
www.symton.com for BSFL
www.dubiaroaches.com BSFL are called nutri grubs on this site and you can get some medium super worms -- if you have more questions please ask -- and please DO NOT listen to the pet store people they often give bad advice and can be detrimental to the dragon

neo8175

Original Poster
Received my new 5 month old beardie 2 days ago and he's almost done shedding except for his tail.
He didn't eat much yet cause he was in shed he looks well. We fed him some large bsfl and large superworms along with some collards green and squash. Can I only feed him a variety of worms and veggies/fruit or do I have to include dubia roaches as a live staple? I kind of want to avoid using them.

Bought everything from dubiaroaches.com

https://ibb.co/J78SrrY

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon needs a staple feeder worms are not a staple feeder - dubias are a great staple-- more nutritional- worms should be given as treats- BSFL are another good staple for babies-- and a good compliment to.the dubias please do not feed just worms or you will not get him to eat nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom