Freezing greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Hey all. I'm sure many people have this problem, but I hate how much I end up throwing away when I buy my Beardie a bundle of greens. I feed her every day, but the stuff goes bad so quickly. Has anyone ever had any luck freezing and thawing their greens? I have a feeling it wouldnt work, but what are your guys' tips and tricks for reducing waste?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some folks have seen good results prepping food ahead of time and then freezing it in ice cube trays. Then you can thaw the cubes as needed and it works pretty well. I've offered frozen (and thawed) peas before and they were just fine.

I store my greens by cutting the stems out and putting the leaves in a ziploc with a folded paper towel. Pull the air out and store it in the crisper drawer in the fridge. I usually get several weeks out of them that way. When I have leftover salads or veges about to go bad, I put them in my roach colony and the roaches make quick work of the leftovers.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":24cy80by said:
Some folks have seen good results prepping food ahead of time and then freezing it in ice cube trays. Then you can thaw the cubes as needed and it works pretty well. I've offered frozen (and thawed) peas before and they were just fine.

I store my greens by cutting the stems out and putting the leaves in a ziploc with a folded paper towel. Pull the air out and store it in the crisper drawer in the fridge. I usually get several weeks out of them that way. When I have leftover salads or veges about to go bad, I put them in my roach colony and the roaches make quick work of the leftovers.

Good to know. I bought a bundle of turnip greens last night, and washed, chopped and bagged em up right away when I got home. I didnt think about the paper towel though. I suppose that'll absorb the excess moisture and prevent them from getting slimy. I'll add that when I get home tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom