New to beardies - feeding question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I'm adopting a beardie soon and I've done some research on how to feed him - he's 2-3 years old, so full grown, but I had a few questions:

1. Do they have to eat every day? Would feeding them 6 days a week and leaving one day unfed be alright? I've seen some people that suggest this to avoid obesity.

2. There's lots of conflicting info about feeding schedule - would 6 days a week of varied greens + 1 day of bugs in those 6 days (I'm thinking dubias and hornworms?) be okay? (Assuming feeding 6 days a week is okay, if not then it would be greens every day and once a week bugs)

3. Am I correct in thinking he only needs to be fed once a day? From what I've read, it's the juveniles that need to be fed multiple times a day.

Thank you for all your help! I hope I can give my beardie the best life possible :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dragons need to be fed every day regardless of age --- babies need protein as the main diet fed 2-3 times per day -- it depends on all what your feeding --- when I had Blaze as a baby he was fed salads every morning w/ BSFL on top to lure him the the bowl - I fed roughly 20 of them on top also on top was a mixture of 1-2 small super worms or butter worms and a occasional horn worm - then the staple feeder was fed like a hr or so later and that was dubias - he ate probably 15 of them - I offered a second feeding in the afternoon of dubias for a while he ate the second feeding but not long after he quit eating the second feeding cuz he was full from the morning feed--- the dubias were dusted in the morning w/ the calcium D3 M-F and vitamins w/ carotene 2 x per week once in the morning -- so that is a an example --- but your dragon needs a good staple feeder of roaches crickets BSFL or and silk worms --- fresh salads every day along w/ their staple feeder - insects being the main diet up until about a year old - you want him eating those salads even if its only a few bites -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
A variety of bugs and salads is good - they like variety-- if you need websites for insects and worms let me know I will post some for you
Karrie

colieflower

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35t0wn45 said:
Dragons need to be fed every day regardless of age --- babies need protein as the main diet fed 2-3 times per day -- it depends on all what your feeding -- insects being the main diet up until about a year old - you want him eating those salads even if its only a few bites
A variety of bugs and salads is good - they like variety-- if you need websites for insects and worms let me know I will post some for you
Karrie

Thanks for your response! I'll feed him every day then. Sorry if I missed it in your original message, but for a 2-3 year old adult beardie, how often should I feed him insects? Does the 80/20 greens/bugs ratio still hold?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Nope he would need insects 2-3 times per week alternating calcium D3 and calcium w/ out D3 NO phosphorus--- the vitamins can depend on the amount of salads hes eating -- if hes a good salad eater then you wouldnt need the vitamins so much -- hes gonna get those nutrients from the greens and other veggies you feed -- like squash green beans raw shredded sweet potato etc --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom