Suddenly refuses salad

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
My beardie has been a great salad eater all his life. Up until now, at 9 months, he suddenly stopped eating salad completely. I've tried several things and am currently not feeding bugs until he gives into his salad. Today is day 3 with no bugs. Yesterday he nibbled on his salad a little bit, and today he ate one kale piece and a tiny bit of asparagus. Has anyone had success with bee pollen powder? I heard the smell attracts beardies. Also when should I restart with the bugs? And if he does eat some salad, do I go back to bugs or keep giving salad to make him stick with it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
At 9 months old he still should be getting insects every day --- you can try bee pollen I did not have any success w/ it w/ my two dragons--- I would not hold back the insects
here is website for nutrition please no more asparagus and ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html]
have you tried adding some worms to his salad to entice him back to the bowl ? If not try some BSFL some super worms like 1-3 - butter worms and horn worms --- if you need websites please ask I will post

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, I've tried all kimds of bugs and treats in his salad. He's super accurate and always picks the bugs out without touching the salad. And if he does pick up a leaf he will just push it out of his mouth while chewing the bug.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
oh dear :lol: sneaky little guy --- well keep offering both --- he does need his protein hes a growing dragon

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Do you think he's just gonna start eating the salad sooner or later? Because for the past 3 weeks all he's been doing was walking all over his salad and completely ignoring it :/

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its hard to tell it sounds like hes going thru juvenile rebellion -- hormones are kicking in-- he may or may not start eating again but if he liked it so well before my guess is yes he will :)

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
Hey, just wanted to chime in!

Both my beardies have gone on salad strikes before multiple times. It's very common. They just really prefer their bugs sometimes! Since you say it's been 3 weeks since he's really eaten his salads, I see no problem withholding insects longer than 3 days even at his age. If he's a healthy beardie, he could go up to a week, probably even more! Especially since he is still picking at his salad like you were saying. But I wouldn't push it longer than a week since he is young. You don't have to worry though, it won't stunt his growth by any means. Healthy dragons won't starve themselves either!

As for the bee pollen, it's a great thing to add to their salads whether it lures them to it or not because bee pollen is a very good way of getting extra vitamins and minerals into your beardie! I even gutload my feeders with bee pollen and leafy greens.

I hope this helps! Here's a good simplified chart to go off of for feeding as well!

full

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for this info :) I already fed him some bugs since I got the first few replies on this topic. I ordered the bee pollen and it's coming in a few days. If he doesn't figure his situation out hinself (and with the bee pollen) I'm gonna have to put him on bug strike again. He's a healthy reptile, pretty chonky for his 19 inches.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
zachburnav":2s49m66c said:
Thanks for this info :) I already fed him some bugs since I got the first few replies on this topic. I ordered the bee pollen and it's coming in a few days. If he doesn't figure his situation out hinself (and with the bee pollen) I'm gonna have to put him on bug strike again. He's a healthy reptile, pretty chonky for his 19 inches.

No worries, you're not going the wrong way either way you go. I'm glad to help! I hope he likes the bee pollen too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom