Baby Beardie Won't Eat Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is about 6 weeks old now, I've had her for around 5 days. The first day I brought her home she must've eaten like 15 crickets, then it tapered off from there. Yesterday she ate one cricket but opted to eat about 6 wax worms(which I gave only because I was worried about her not eating). I tried feeding her today and she doesn't seem interested. She does eat most of her salad (topped with calcium/d3) that I put in every day around noon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thats great shes eating salad --- it sounds like she ate a lot and is now not so hungry -- but she should keep eating --- make sure your basking temps are up to par - meaning they need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- and the UVB is a tube fixture NO coils they are inadequate--- if the UVB is a tube it needs to be inside the tank for a T 8 and 6-8 inches from basking decor w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- T 5's are different placement and distance -- if you can tell us what your using we can help you more
They will go thru relocation stress and eating will slow but they should keep eating -- you can rinse the salads before serving and that will give moisture to him/ her so he stays hydrated -- if you have more questions please ask -- the basking temps and the UVB are the two most important things in that tank -- they control the behavior and over all health of your dragon
Karrie

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
Hey karrie thanks for your response. I have a 100watt daytime basking light that reads about 112 on her basking branch. And about 100 on her hammock below the branch. I have a nighttime basking red bulb as well. I have the T8 reptisun 10.0 over her basking branch as well. The plastic IS on the light, which I will be taking off in a moment here after reading your response. The ambient temp on her hot side is about 90ish, cool side is usually about 75-80. She did stuff herself the first two days I brought her home, as I suspect she was fighting for resources at the place I got her, she was probably very hungry. So maybe she's just not super hungry yesterday/today. Thank you?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 112 is a little too hot- if you can lower the basking branch I would- and you are getting those w/ a digital probe thermometer? The red bulb please get rid of it--- colored bulbs can cause long term eye damage--- and it disrupts their sleep-- dragons like cool temps 65-75 at nite--- and dark- if you need extra heat at nite invest in a che ceramic heat emitter--- the UVB is in the tank?
Karrie

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
The uvb bulb is on top of the tank screen.
She still hasn't eaten any crickets. I also haven't seen her eat any salad. I'm now worried.

Any suggestion for what watt ceramic heater? Tank is 30gal. And yes, temp was taking with a digit probe thermo.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 8 needs to be unobstructed and no clear plastic cover over the bulb if there is one and approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece - please get that positioned ASAP- the CHE looks like this I have these and they have been pretty good
https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repticare-ceramic-infrared/dp/154806?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-JCqzqXV7QIVTL7ACh0y4QEoEAQYASABEgLAn_D_BwE
and I use domes mine sit on top of the screen for a 30 gallon tank I would start w/ a 40 watt bulb here is the dome https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/flukers-sun-dome-reptile-lamp
You want one w/ a ceramic socket -- like the one shown - I use a 100 watt bulb but my tanks are 120 gallon - you wont need this if your tank is between 65-75 at nite -- mine so far have not been on this winter as it has not been cold enough to run them - and its going to be trial and error w/ the wattage - you dont want your tank over and under the temps -- did you get rid of the colored red bulb? Get your UVB and basking temps straightened out and watch her behavior - I would order her some BSFL for her salads -- they are a great staple feeder and lure to the salad bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic dish so the BSFL cant get out some thing like this
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
and you can order BSFL from here http://www.symptonbsf.com depending on big she is I would order medium but look at them and see if they will work - they do have smalls -- just nothing bigger than the space between her eyes length wise--- do not dust them
you can also order from here this place is real good and you can get small super worms to add to those salads 1-3 on this site they are called nutri grubs -- also you can get roaches they are great place for roaches http://www.dubiaroaches.com they are easier to use adding to the salad bowl -
Karrie

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
How do I get the uvb bulb IN the tank? The screen has holes, the uvb can't make it through? I don't have the plastic lense on it, no.
Thank you I'll check out all of those things. I did take the red bulb out. I touched her this morning before turning on her daylight and she was so cold.. the house heat is set to 70 tho so ??

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
How do I get the uvb bulb IN the tank? The screen has holes, the uvb can't make it through? I don't have the plastic lense on it, no.
Thank you I'll check out all of those things. I did take the red bulb out. I touched her this morning before turning on her daylight and she was so cold.. the house heat is set to 70 tho so ??
Thank you for all the info and links

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get a ambient temp of the tank first thing in the morning-- it will tell you what the temp is overnite-- I am guessing the temp in the tank is around what your house is
take the screen off the tank being its only a 30 gallon you can open it and set the UVB width wise on one end of the tank have the screen butted up to it for your basking light -- try that tell me if it works - make sure your basking decor piece is at the most 8 inches
Karrie

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
KarrieRee":qrzp2e15 said:
Get a ambient temp of the tank first thing in the morning-- it will tell you what the temp is overnite-- I am guessing the temp in the tank is around what your house is
take the screen off the tank being its only a 30 gallon you can open it and set the UVB width wise on one end of the tank have the screen butted up to it for your basking light -- try that tell me if it works - make sure your basking decor piece is at the most 8 inches
Karrie
Okay, thank you, I've done all those things now. I will take the ambient temp in the morning. I'm just concerned as she has only eaten 4 medium sized crickets today.. which I guess is 4 more than yesterday so that's good. Still no interest in wax worms or her greens.
(Medium as in, I bought "small crickets" but some seemed kind of large, others medium. The medium ones are about the space between her eyes)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wax worms are fatty and too many and long term can cause liver issues -- you can get some BSFL from here www.dubiaroaches.com also they are called nutri grubs you can get some small super worms or medium -- 1-3 on top of salads along w/ BSFL will lure her to the bowl - you can hand feed those worms and add them in front of her that will get her attention to the bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl that they cant get out of -- I would get some roaches as well --
Karrie

Valkyrie47

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20cofdm7 said:
Wax worms are fatty and too many and long term can cause liver issues -- you can get some BSFL from here http://www.dubiaroaches.com also they are called nutri grubs you can get some small super worms or medium -- 1-3 on top of salads along w/ BSFL will lure her to the bowl - you can hand feed those worms and add them in front of her that will get her attention to the bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl that they cant get out of -- I would get some roaches as well --
Karrie
Her staple is crickets. I only got the wax worms when I noticed she wasn't interested in the crickets, and wax worms were the only other live food they had at the store. I ordered the soldier fly larvae earlier today. I've never consistently fed her wax forms as I know they cause obesity. I just wanted her to eat s o m e t h i n g?
I have a bowl I already use for her greens that will work for the larvae.
She seems alert and she's always looking around, but since day one with food she won't "hunt" she sits and waits until the food gets closer to her. Lol hopefully the BSFL will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom