Use of Canned Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the baby beardie I rescued about 3 weeks ago has started eating for me, just not the amounts that should be normal for a baby her size. She definitely was malnourished and dehydrated when I got her and I’m thinking maybe she needs time to adjust to the quantities of food i’m offering her vs. what her old owner offered on a daily basis. So far I’ve been giving her mainly large Sympton BSFL, small crickets, cut up canned silkworm pupae, dubia roaches, and mustard greens, bok choy, and carrots (everything but the BSFL are dusted with calcium :)) Right now I have her in a 20 gallon long with a basking spot with temps from 105-115 degrees, a UVB fixture with a brand new bulb, grapewood, a reptile hammock, two caves, and some faux greenery. The cool side of the tank is about 85-90 and the ambient temp is around 90. I was hoping for some tips on food suggestions for her as she has a pretty weak jaw and I want to make sure she is chewing her food enough. So far the dubias, extra small crickets, and silkworms seem to be the easiest for her to get down. With that being said, is it ok to use canned bugs in addition to fresh bugs while she works on her jaw strength? Right now i’ve only tried the Can o’ Silkworms from ZooMed as they have a high protein/moisture percentage with low fat content. The texture is akin to a canned cat food, which makes it easier for her to eat without having to chew so much. If anyone has any recommendations or tips please let me know and as always thank you so much for your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your UVB is what brand and bulb please and where in the tank is it? As far as the can of silk worms I wouldnt recommend them but every thing else sounds good -- if she is eating them thats good --- w/ the correct UVB she is small enough it may straighten out that is why I am asking what your using and placement of the UVB --- this is crucial
Karrie

lindsaym12

Original Poster
Right now i’m using the Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture with the 5.0 bulb and it is positioned to cover about 75% of the tank with the remaining 25% used for the heat lamp.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you keeping that UVB or are going to change it out? The Zilla slimline bulb is not as good as bulb as the Reptisun I would change it out to the 10.0 bulb its a better bulb --- make sure the basking spot in the tank is 6-8 inches from basking decor --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom