Not Eating Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJacksonn

I’ve had Jackson for about 8 months now and I’ve dealt with this reoccurring issue for some time. It began around two months ago, she got very picky when it came to greens and eventually stopped eating them all together. I didn’t have an issue with this before, she was very good with eating them and at some point would only eat the greens. I’ve been sneaking in some greens when I feed her treats (fruit, veggies, and feeders) but recently she won’t eat food that aren’t her bugs either (I feed her super worms and until this week, dubias). I have a feeling she’s bagan to associate those treats with the greens but I can’t know for sure. I feed her once a day around 11am-3pm (I’ve been trying different times to see if if it makes a difference) and serve a mix of dandelion and collard greens, I usually add some fruit and veggies on top. I feed her a few bugs everyday. She is 2-3 years of age. If this continues to worsen I plan to take her to a vet appointment. Thank you in advance to anybody reading this! <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would lay off the treat bugs - as long as shes a good healthy weight only feed her the salads as normal no treat insects - and feed the dubias 2-3 times per week - see if that will get her to go back to eating the greens again - I dont know if the vet is going to help you on that one- as long as shes active not losing weight pooping and basking shes fine and just being stubborn
Karrie

MJacksonn

Original Poster
KarrieRee":36h1jnr6 said:
I would lay off the treat bugs - as long as shes a good healthy weight only feed her the salads as normal no treat insects - and feed the dubias 2-3 times per week - see if that will get her to go back to eating the greens again - I dont know if the vet is going to help you on that one- as long as shes active not losing weight pooping and basking shes fine and just being stubborn
Karrie
Thank you for your suggestions Karrie! It’s been a while now since I stopped feeding her treat insects but I unfortunately haven’t seen any improvement from her. She’s begun to stop eating almost entirely besides the occasional carrot she sneaks out of her food bowl and any fruit I decide to feed her since I know she will eat that. She still has zero interest in eating greens. My family and I are becoming increasingly worried and they’re telling me to bring her to the vet. What would you suggest I do? I haven’t gotten the chance to weigh her so I can’t necessarily tell if she’s losing any weight, although she is pooping rather regularly as long as I take her outside to poop. Recently her uvb light also went out so I’m hoping that when I replace it it could slightly help with her eating habits. If push comes to shove and she doesn’t improve I believe going to the vet would probably be best but I’d like to make sure there are other routes I can take before I get to that point.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to get that UVB bulb replaced asap she will stop eating all together if she does not have the rays-- please get a weight on her- kitchen food scale- post a pic of her please- and the tank and lighting- her poop is it real.runny really stinky like bad
Karrie

MJacksonn

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1sq7a17p said:
You need to get that UVB bulb replaced asap she will stop eating all together if she does not have the rays-- please get a weight on her- kitchen food scale- post a pic of her please- and the tank and lighting- her poop is it real.runny really stinky like bad
Karrie
I will be getting the UVB bulb very soon. I weighed her and she came out to be 14g, I will post my most recent picture of her and her tank. Her poop is often a bit runny and can be pretty stinky sometimes. Her poop has been orange lately because she solely eats the carrots out of her meals.
107709-9361570612.jpg
107709-8486556806.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok and the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed screen? The placement of the UVB depends on this
Karrie

MJacksonn

Original Poster
KarrieRee":udr22ddd said:
Ok and the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed screen? The placement of the UVB depends on this
Karrie
I attached a photo, it is a fairly thin mesh but it does open up like a door. I’ve been told that the way I have it now is okay.
107709-6539539713.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please take a piece of decor and place it directly under the UVB approx 8-10 inches -- I am not really getting a good look at the screen if you can take another pic of it closer -- the rays need to be able to get thru the screen -- it looks ok but I am going to have someone else take a look for sure
Karrie

MJacksonn

Original Poster
KarrieRee":18ni3306 said:
Please take a piece of decor and place it directly under the UVB approx 8-10 inches -- I am not really getting a good look at the screen if you can take another pic of it closer -- the rays need to be able to get thru the screen -- it looks ok but I am going to have someone else take a look for sure
Karrie
I do have decor under the lamp in the range you suggested. I will take a closer photo, when I had a working bulb the rays shorn through the mesh just fine.
107709-352516259.jpg

EHerb

Hi , so just jumping on this post because we are having the same problems our little one is not eating his salad and I’m worried he’s not getting hydrated
We’ve layed off the bugs for 2-3 nights to see if he eats the spas but he really just nibbles he’s only 3 months old so I don’t want to lay off the bugs forever it seems a vicious cycle of eating 2-3 bugs then not eating salad for days not feeding bugs just has a tiny nibble - how long should I stop the bugs for ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get some BSFL and add to the tops of your salads--- they are great salad toppers and a great staple feeder for a baby -- add them first thing to the salad in the morning feed as many as you want -- they are also called nutri grubs calci worms or phoenix worms --- do not dust them -- he still needs insects every day -- that is the main diet --- do not hold off on the insects -- get some dubia roaches and some small super worms -- feed the BSFL order large and 1-3 small super worms on his salads add them in front of him -- let him eat for like an hr then add the roaches or if your using crickets disable them take a leg off or two -- roaches are easier to use --- dust the roaches -- you will need a dish like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
www.dubiaroaches.com --
do you still have Jackson?
Karrie

MJacksonn

Original Poster
An update on Jackson:
It’s been almost a month since I received the replacement for her UVB lightbulb. I unfortunately haven’t seen much improvement as she’s only become more lethargic (unless I get her moving throughout the day, she’s very active specifically when I take her outside) and she still refuses to eat her greens. The only food she has been getting are the fruits I stick in her salad and the dubia roaches I begrudgingly give her to make sure she eats as well as the greens I get the chance to stick in her mouth whenever she’s munching on either of the two. I have a vet appointment scheduled for Saturday so I will try to update when I can after!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom