Extending the fridge life of greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I was given a large quantity of carrot greens for Charlie. He absolutely adores them, but I don't know if I can feed them to him fast enough to use them before they go bad. I hate to waste these greens in particular because they are only available for a short time. I can't find them in grocery stores around here so we are stuck with waiting for friends and family to grow carrots in their gardens. I usually rinse the greens with water and then wrap the stems with a damp paper towel before putting them in the fridge. Is there anything else I can do to prolong their shelf life?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some greens last longer than others. Collards tend to get the most mileage for me and dandelion greens seem most fragile. I usually wash the greens then dry them, put them in a ziploc with a folded paper towel, remove the air, and put them in the crisper drawer. That usually works fairly well. Some people swear by keeping greens in a salad spinner in the fridge. I don't have one of those to try, but it may also be worth a shot. There are also some containers I've seen (similar to a salad spinner in design I think) that are designed specifically for holding greens.

Having a roach colony is helpful in this case because they do such a great job of eating the leftovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom