Refusing salads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,
We got Rosie about 3 weeks ago, she is approx 2-3 years old and came to us very skinny (242g), the shop we got her from said she's been smashing her veggies but because she is underweight we should offer her bugs everyday as well as salad. She eats approx 4-6 insects every day (crickets, woodies or mealworms occasionally) but refuses all salad and veggies except blueberries, I even tried BSFL on her salad but she just looked at them wriggling and walked away.

I think she's not eating her salad because she's filling up on bugs but im really worried about restricting them and her loosing more weight.

Do you think its safe to cut back on the bugs to encourage her to eat salad if she's underweight or should I just let her eat only insects until she fattens up a bit.

She has a reptisun t5 10% 14 inch from basking area. Basking spot is 102 and cool zone is 76 with varies temps in-between those.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've been able to build weight on them with a mostly vegetarian diet. Keep offering the salads and hold off on the bugs. Try cutting squash/pumpkin into worm shapes and see if that goes over well. Offer a bug meal maybe once or twice a week once she starts eating the veges.

littlelizyd

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, I haven't fed her any bugs for 3 days and have just been offering different kinds of salads, I have tried in a bowl and handfeeding and she has refused everything so far. I know she's hungry because if I hold a worm over her salad bowl she runs over so fast and then gives me stink eye for not giving it to her.
I feel so bad because she's so skinny but I know that her only eating protein is bad for her health too.
How long do I hold off on the bugs?

Muffin797

I'm no expert. One thing you may want to try (for now at least) in order to get her to eat some veggie vitamins is to try feeding a commercial omnivore diet. My beardie absolutely loves the Beardie Buffett blend from Repashy. My boy HATES his greens. I've tried just about everything to get him to eat them but he just refuses. After a little training, he now will basically inhale Repashy. In order to train him to eat it, I would offer a mealworm or something with tongs then do the same with Repashy. I think at first beardies just need to be convinced that Repashy is food. I do still frequently try to get him on greens though because I would much rather feed him a more natural diet.

littlelizyd

Original Poster
Well I gave in at the end of day 4 and let her eat as many woodies as she wanted and she smashed about 15, I'm only feeding insects 3 times a week and offering salad everyday that she completely ignores but she's lost weight.
When I got her she was 242g I managed to get her to 259g after 3 weeks but now only after 1 week of giving her bugs 3x a week instead of everyday she only weighs 240g. I am at a loss as to what I should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom