Water Hyacinth

Status
Not open for further replies.

prozacwoman

Hello all! My name is Amy, and I'm pretty new to bearded dragon keeping. We have a couple fish ponds in our backyard that have water hyacinth in them. I've looked high and low on the internet (and searched on these boards as well) about whether or not beardies can eat it. All I've found is that red eared slider turtles like it. Nobody on the entire internet seems to know if it's toxic to beardies, or if they do know, they're not saying. The general consensus says water hyacinth is non-toxic. My large adult beardie got a few bites of a plant I'd thinned out (it reproduces like MAD! I'm glad it's in a contained fish pond. Whew) and wanted more after I got it away from him. He seems to have suffered no ill effects from it.

So, I've said all that to say this: does anybody know for SURE if they can eat it? He really seemed to like it.

Thanks for reading my novel! LOL

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Amy,

prozacwoman":2jnee6iw said:
does anybody know for SURE if they can eat it?

I hate to break it to you, but you're probably the most knowledgeable/experienced person here on the specific subject haha.

I'd venture a guess that if it's safe for turtles, it should be ok for beardies too. OK doesn't necessarily mean healthy though, so until nutritional facts can be found on it, I would treat it more as an occasional item as opposed to an item that would make up the bulk of your dragons salad items :)

prozacwoman":2jnee6iw said:
Thanks for reading my novel! LOL
Lord you sound like I do.. HA!

Welcome to the site :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom