Insect Feeding Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonose12

Hi, I have a few questions about setting a feeding schedule for my adult (2-3 y/o) rescue beardie Bebe. Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I had trouble finding feeding schedule info for adults when I searched.

The good news is she seems to love pretty much everything! I've had her for about a month and a half and feed her a salad every morning - usually a mix of collards, kale and either dandelion greens or bok choy. I've been adding butternut squash and red pepper occasionally and just got some papaya and raisins as well. She went through a bit of relocation stress as I was getting her new enclosure set up but she's back to polishing off basically her whole bowl every morning.

My main question is how often and much should I be adding insects to her diet? I have bsfl which I've been adding to her salads every few mornings. At the rate I'm going right now she eats probably 100 every 2 weeks or so. In addition to that I've been giving her about 10-15 medium sized dubias twice a week. I dust the dubias with a multivitamin every other feeding and spray the greens with a little liquid calcium 5 days a week. I've never seen her refuse an insect, I could probably feed her roaches all day and she'd be perfectly happy.

Does this sound like a good schedule? Is the liquid calcium ok or possibly overkill for a beardie who's getting calcium from worms and greens? How do you know how much food is too much when your beardie is a bottomless pit?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If your dragon is eating salads you dont need to add the vitamins and liquid calcium - shes getting plenty from her greens - Insects should be fed 2-3 times per week - keep that schedule - she doesnt need the BSFL every feeding - they are a good staple feeder so you can alternate those -- feed her as much salad as she wants -- no raisins --- I dont know if they can have them or not so I wouldnt feed being on the caution side
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

yonose12

Original Poster
Got it, thanks! I actually got the idea to get her seedless raisins from that nutrition sheet. It says they're a good treat but I'll wait and see if anyone else has tried them. I wouldn't be giving them to her regularly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I guess I have never noticed them if they are on the sheet feed them - they should be fine
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom