10 week old... Not eating properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splreece

Morning all... Probably just new beardie parent nerves...

How stubborn should I allow the beardie to be about feeding..

She's been with me 2 weeks and didn't feed for about a week, then loved 30 pinheads in a plastic storage box... But since them for last 3 days, refuses to eat crickets and only wats wax or dubias..

Waxs are not healthy and dubias are not easy to get near me...

How long should I leave her in the feeding tub and should I just offer crickets and eventually will she feed?

.. Or would she starve herself... Ive photod the feeding housing so you can see she's not panicking, totally easy with it, just won't feed...
109077-5603270419.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Shes going thru relocation stress--- so as long as shes eating something thats good- I am going to give you some websites to get dubias most on here order on line for feeders and dont rely on the pet stores for live insects too unreliable for a resource - you can continue to feed her in the plastic bin especially crickets since they are so hard to find in the tank and you dont want them left in the tank over nite -- dubias are ok left in there we dont recommend it but if you can get a glass bowl or ceramic something like this would be great https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Please go over your lighting in the tank especially if you bought your baby from petsmart or petco and if you bought a "kit" most stuff is not suitable for a dragon out of those "kits" especially the lighting
Let your baby adjust and settle in his appetite will pick up as long as you have the proper lighting and basking temps --- No stick ons for temp gauges to get basking temps you want a digital probe thermometer-- like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Here are some websites for insects/ worms
I would get him some BSFL order medium do not dust them feed first thing in the morning on top of his salads as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies
www.symtonbsf.com these are also called nutri grubs calci worms or phoenix worms
Please no more wax worms or only use sparingly they are not healthy but once in a while are ok too many long term and fed too much can cause liver damage
www.dubiaroaches.com great place for worms when he gets older from here right now hes too little for the size of worms they have you can get the nutri grubs from here
www.mulberryfarms.com great place for silk worms butter worms and BSFL as well as small super worms -- feed 1-3 small supers on top of his salads along w/ 1-3 butter worms
www.reptilianarts.com great place for silk worms - when in stock the bulk come small like 50 - you will need to order food and keep the containers cleaned as well - they also have roaches
www.coastalsilkworms.com they ship from the east coast and west coast and come w/ food
Dubias can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium tank or a plastic tote - feed dubia food along w/ carrots or squash for hydration -- do not feed the dragon carrots too to much hydration
If you need anymore help please ask but please get your lighting posted
Karrie

Splreece

Original Poster
Thanks karrie.

I have a basking of 41deg and cool range of 28 to 31deg

Measured by surface temp lazer and temp probe.

Humidity 25 in hot and 35 in cool.

Pic shows setup but have a 12%uvb with reflector.

I put fresh salads and water in each morning... She's never gone to either.. No matter how long I leave her... She's not really feeding via hand. When she eats it's either via the bucket or via worms in the viv.

I'm. Dripping water ion her head... And she's enjoying being out viv and ina bath... So doesn't seem to be worried in that sense... But the drinking and eating m (both salad and live) seems to be the only obvious issue... (cause I'm not sure).... Ive started recording feeds and time..

Im assuming I just grab her at the same time each day and place in box with crickets... Create the frequency and habbit..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am taking it your not in the states? I would get her some morio worms I think they are called and put them in the bowl w/ the salad and place in the tub- see if you can get her to eat from the bowl - take and place the pin head crickets in the salad as well - she may not like crickets - if you can get roaches I would use them they are a better feeder anyway and look for silk worms - until she becomes adjusted and settled in her appetite is going to be off -- temps are good --- UVB is good as long as distance is proper -- is the UVB in the tank or on top of screen?
Karrie

Splreece

Original Poster
109077-5461156927.jpg
109077-7172647188.jpg
Yeah your right.. Im in UK.

I've tried locusts,, calci, wax, crickets and dubia...

She is completely avoiding calci and locusts... Turns her head when offered and won't entertain a sniff when put calci in Bucket with crickets.. Not drinking much either.. But loves a bath daily.

109077-9435655805.jpg

The only food she seems interested in is wax and dubia.. But dubia small is difficult to get and wax are too fatty...

She wolfed. Down 7 dubia yesterday that were at the size limit for her... So much chunkier than pinheads.

I could try ignoring her for half a day.. And just use worms in the food bowl after not feeding her for a few hours and see if she goes for it when hungry...

I don't think I've fussed her too. Much but I am trying to put her in front of feed at 4 times in the day... (today she didn't eat anything till 12 noon and only ate one wax worm after being presented with crickets dubia and calcis at 7 then 10 then 12..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What was the breeder feeding her? Wax worms are not a good diet--- I would keep offering the dubias--- and the calci worms --- shes going to start to eat at some point- where in the tank is the UVB?
Karrie

Splreece

Original Poster
It was a pet shop and they had her in with no basking, had sand and had no basking type rocks..Which I later found. Outis. Is very bad

They had locusts in viv.. And he gave me free food with getup.. But the locusts are huge compared to her... And she's got 3 locusts in cage that are edible size.. And she seems happier living with them then hunting them

Splreece

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1dhkkmvk said:
What was the breeder feeding her? Wax worms are not a good diet--- I would keep offering the dubias--- and the calci worms --- shes going to start to eat at some point- where in the tank is the UVB?
Karrie
Uvb is in tank... Runs down next to both bulbs

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont know what bulb your using for the UVB but if its a T 8 it needs to be 6-8 inches from her basking decor directly over head and if its a T 5 it needs to be 12-15 inches above her both bulbs w/ NO plastic cover over the bulbs-------------- this could be why shes not eating properly --- she needs that UVB -- she is very tiny do not feed her those locust to big for her or she will get impacted
Karrie

Splreece

Original Poster
KarrieRee":j1lc3gh8 said:
I dont know what bulb your using for the UVB but if its a T 8 it needs to be 6-8 inches from her basking decor directly over head and if its a T 5 it needs to be 12-15 inches above her both bulbs w/ NO plastic cover over the bulbs-------------- this could be why shes not eating properly --- she needs that UVB -- she is very tiny do not feed her those locust to big for her or she will get impacted
Karrie
It's a t5... It has reflectors and isn't directly on top of basking stone as the basking bulb is above.... Ive pictured the setup.. Should I move the stone so the UVB is directly above it..
109077-3180939905.jpg

Splreece

Original Poster
KarrieRee":rrx3r2nn said:
Yes I would and make sure its 12-15 inches from her stone
Karrie

Thanks... Ive rearranged and its now at 13inches..and the UVB is now directly above.. Ive had to angle the basking light slightly to accomodate

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok just get a basking temp since you had to move it -- also you dont want the basking light shining directly into her eyes either -- that can cause eye issues
Karrie

Splreece

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1zjsor6n said:
Ok just get a basking temp since you had to move it -- also you dont want the basking light shining directly into her eyes either -- that can cause eye issues
Karrie

Thanks... I'll keep an eye on temps but should warm up to same as before as distance is now the same... Just a new angle slightly...
109077-9828459662.jpg

So is a lack of uvb something that is quickly resolved or will it take time? I. E. If its that, might i see a big change in appetite

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You should see behavior change right away-- she is still adjusting to her environment so as long as she's eating and basking and pooping your good - her appetite will increase make sure she's hydrated- if she's eating some of her greens rinse them before serving she will get moisture from them along w/ good gutloaded insects- you can feed carrots for hydration to the insects just not to her too much vit a
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom