How much is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyTina

I have adopted a beardie that has metabolic bone disease. He was purchased from a pet store and not given proper lighting or food, vitamins, etc. I commented on how sweet he was and I’d adopt him if I had an enclosure... next thing I know I him. I’ve had him since mid-April 2020 and he is roughly 6 months old.

He can’t move well. He used to like crickets, but the small ones are too fast and the big ones were nasty and bit him!
He won’t touch freeze dried bugs. So I tried meal worms—which seems to be a debated choice. He has zero issues with going poo, but I do keep a watch out.

I typically feed him some baby kale or micro greens (he loves baby/micro greens—baby kale, micro greens or micro cilantro, he likes basil... ). Occasionally he will get a sliver of my banana or fruit I’m eating. He loves melon and squash. But the bugs... I’ve tried Phoenix worms, he doesn’t much care for them. I can’t find live dubia roaches, but he didn’t care for the ones I found at PetCo (they were not freeze dried, but equally gross).

Some feedings he will eat 17 meal worms. I’ll just keep offering until he isn’t interested. I do that because other times he eats 1 or 2 before turning away. Stan can be a bit dramatic, too. Sometimes he will only eat bugs from my hand or tweezers.

Now I have created a little meal worm farm. Along with the oats, I toss in kale and fruit, the cricket cubes I had for the crickets I no longer buy, and I dust with calcium powder so they eat extra calcium. Because that’s another thing... if I dust anything with calcium and Stan gets calcium powder—drama queen kicks in and he won’t eat it.

I do have the juvenile pellets—pretty sure he never eats them as I always end up cleaning them out after he throws them all over. I’ve put in Zilla and Zoo Med’s dragon foods. He will pick at these sometimes but I typically throw it out.
I have tried the liquid vitamins and liquid calcium drops—whoa does he HATE those. And I’ve tried to offer Reptiboost, but he won’t touch it.

I have gone all over with this post and I apologize. I’m trying to say what I’ve tried and ask—what is enough? He is healthy?

He’s small, he is not growing much and I don’t think he will get full size. He loves to be held. He seems content. I just have a hard time telling if he is eating enough and if he is ok and happy because he isn’t a “normal” dragon. So looking at what a healthy dragon does—it’s not him because he can’t. He basks. He is curious! He is always watching me and my cats, sometimes I put the betta in its cup in to “visit” when I’m cleaning the betta’s tank. Stan is curious and always checks out the fish in the cup. So he seems fine, but the food and vitamin thing has me worried he isn’t getting enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No more meal worms --- that many is going to cause impaction --- please get some silk worms - they are a staple feeder and it great hes eating his greens - here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I would try some dubias again here is some wesbsites for worms and insects
www.dubiaroaches.com they have great dubias I get mine from here but they are currently not shipping they also have nice super worms horn worms -
www.reptilianarts.com great place for silk and dubias - currently out of stock on the silk but when in stock I order bulk like 50 they come small and you need food to feed them and clean their containers out daily
www.coastalsilkworms.com they had the small in stock - I cant remember if the come w/ food you need to check
www.xyzreptiles.com this people are fast and ship Fed Ex comes in 2-3 days - they come w/ food - they are out of Palmetto Bay Fl
www.mulberryfarms.com high on shipping
www.joshsfrogs.com have not ordered from them but others on here have
Please get another feeder besides the meal worms - he is too young for meals as they are harsh on babies stomachs --- get him some super worms and horn worms - supers I would feed 1-3 and horn worms are a good hydrating worm and they grow really fast so order small amounts -- best prices I have found for them is dubiaroaches
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom