Are we under feeding Coco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM10

Beardie name(s)
Coco
We have a bearded dragon named Coco. He is around 7 months old. We give him a box of grasshoppers twice a day (Each box contains around 15 hoppers). We feed him directly by taking the insect out with tongs and wiping it on multi vitamin/calcium powder and then feeding him. We were using powder at every meal time, but have now read it should only be once a day.

We can feed Coco a box in 3 mins. He still stands there wanting more. We assumed he didn’t know when to stop and because we were feeding him directly we didn’t apply the 10 minute rule (see how much they can eat in 10 mins). We would finish feeding him after one box.

Coco will not eat any salad.

We are now wondering whether in fact we have been under feeding? Feeling dreadful about it. We thought he doesn’t know when to stop and read somewhere they can get obese if overfed.

Any advice would be most welcome please.

Thank you in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you in the states? Coco needs salad --- here is a nutrition website ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
He needs calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding -- you need to get some other staple feeders like crickets dubia roaches or silk worms --- I can help w/ getting him to salads but I need to know if your located in the states for websites to get some of these things from
Karrie

RM10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Coco
HI KarrieRee, thank you for your reply and for the helpful food link. We are based in the UK.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so look for some Mario worms I think those are super worms some silk worms meal.worms and some BSFL also known as calci worms nutri grubs and Phoenix worms- try putting those on his salad first thing in the morning- the movement will get him to the glass or ceramic bowl-- also horn worms will work those grow really fast--- I would only use 1-2 worms each on that salad
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom