How to make sure he doesn’t aspirate when being syringe fed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennieeeeeeee

So. My boy has been diagnosed with MBD and the vet has suggested making a slurry of veg, bugs and calcium and syringe feeding, which I have been doing. But since he also currently has a URI (due to aspirating the bath water) how to I make sure he isn’t also do the same with the syringe fed food? He does bite, chew and smack his lips together while taking the syringed food, but I’m just so nervous he’ll aspire more and we will be in more of a mess!
Please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Go slow and wait for him to swallow what you put in his mouth --- I was always afraid of mine doing the same thing but I found if you take your time and wait for them to swallow and only give small amounts he wont aspirate -- or less chance of it
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In addition to offering the food slowly, try aiming the syringe from the side of the mouth so if it does wind up going through too quickly it will wind up out the other side of the mouth rather than down the throat. Syringe feeding is often messy either way so best to just have paper towels on hand and maybe a syringe of water to be prepared for cleanup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom