Dubias and uric acid

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Is there an amount of dubias known to cause problems with UA?
We've been limiting our 6 mo old to about 8/day, but I think she would like more. ;)
(That's of course not the only thing she gets).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Depends on the size of the roach - limiting them at a young age is not really good - she needs the protein its when they become adults the high UA could be a concern and a lot being fed would not be good ---- but if your feeding her salads and worms she wont eat as many either - you can offer her 1-3 super worms butter worms horn worms and silk worms - the silk would be another good staple feeder - w/ all that being added to the diet it will make a good balanced diet for her
here are some websites for worms -- the horn worms are a good hydrating worm and grow really fast so order small amounts
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.reptilianarts.com if you order in bulk like 50 they come small and you will need to order food to feed them and clean containers out daily
www.coastilsilkworms.com
www.mulberryfarms.com
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are you feeding the roaches? I feel that their diet is important to keep their uric acid production and storage at bay. I feed my roaches mostly leftover salads, occasional fruit like orange slices, and sometimes some bread. They love squash of any kind. By keeping their protein down I haven't had any issues with uric acid in my dragon or with their apparent health (after several generations of roaches).

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I try to pick out the ones that are perfect size for her (if you had told me a year ago that I'd be 'playing' with roaches I wouldn't have believed it) basically the distance between her eyes. I'd say they're the 5/8 size, maybe 1/2.

I purchased chow and water crystals for them from Kimbrells, plus I put in a few food scraps (mainly carrot). Yesterday I put in a piece of nectarine and they were all over it almost before I closed the lid. But that was the first time I put in a fruit, it's usually veggies. They don't seem to eat any greens I put in.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I found out the samething they will not eat greens at all --- I get dubia food from dubiaroaches.com and use carrots and squash for hydration -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom