Beardie Seems to be Hungry all of the Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanTheBeardie

Hi I am new here, but have had my beardie for a few months. He is a full grown male (we think about 5) He seems to be hungry all the time now, I am feeding him the same amount as I always have (good amount of salad every day and 10-15 dubias every other day). He eats it all almost right away, I can start giving him dubias every day I am just concerned about using up my colony and more importantly over feeding my beardie. How can you tell if your beardie is hungry/full, and make sure not to over feed. I have heard that they will stop eating once full but I have also heard that they will keep eating as long as you give them food. Any recommendations?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Sadly there is no guarantee they will stop when full and not overeat. Some will and some will overdo it. Since this is an adult I would avoid adding to many live feeders as they do not require as much protein as a growing baby. If adding to food provided I would start with salad.

With that being said if he is at a good healthy weight then you may not need to change anything as he is fine. In order to best provide advice on this though if you could post a picture along with length and weight that will help us better understand his current situation and help you out.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
He appear to be at a very healthy weight for his length an i don't see anything that would worry me in the picture. I would feel comfortable upping the salad available by a little bit if he is looking for more, but it appears hes doing quite well with your current care.

Thing to watch out for on overdoing it would be a stomach that is sagging down or their neck behind the beard getting overly thick. those are common areas of carrying excess weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom