Hendrix isn't eating very much

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got Hendrix last week I think, and hes been eating pretty good until yesterday. Hes about 5 inches or so and usually a pretty good eater. Yesterday though he only ate 2 or 3 bsfl and today he ate one. Hes still active and he poops every day (yesterday he pooped twice and the urates are a good amount) but today he just isn't having it. I even squished one of the bsfl and rubbed it on his nose and all he did was close his eyes. Now all he wants to do is crawl in my hand and up my arm when I try and feed him. He did partially shed his tail the day before he stopped eating so much. I THINK he may be getting ready to go into body shed. Do yall think that might be what's making him not really interested in food? His basking spot is 108.9 and my fiance got the uvb. She told me it was the reptisun 10.0 and put it up but I actually checked today and it's a zilla tube 15w (? gotta do everything myself I guess lol) so I ordered the right thing off amazon. I got a whole new fixture and everything lol. Do you think it's the uvb? I've never dealt with zilla I've always done the reptisun. Either way I have a new one coming.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there :)

It's most likely just some upset from the shedding :)
It's also not uncommon for them to eat well for a couple days, and then stop when they are in a new environment. Usually that happens after a couple days, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that it's still relocation stress.

It's been too short of a time span for the UVB to have caused any issue, but changing it can do nothing but help.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its relocation stress and could be shedding too that will effect his eating - he should not completely quit eating tho -- --- but the UVB definitely plays a huge roll in their over all health - so you have the Zilla tube now? And a Reptisun coming? Good your gonna need that inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb if its a T 8-- which I am thinking it is -- basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly underneath the bulb---- I would get it changed out and keep the Zilla bulb for a back up- they are good for 6 months so you will need to replace it then so mark your calendar --- the Reptisun bulb is a way better bulb ---- if I am wrong about the T 8 let me know - distance is different from the T 8 to the T 5 I would get some dubias ordered for him - hes gonna need more than the BSFL your feeding him -- I would use those BSFL as salad toppers for him to lure him to the salad bowl and get him to eat his salad first thing in the morning ---- dubias can be ordered from here http://www.reptilianarts.com - they also have silk worms too - another good staple feeder - if you order bulk make sure you get food too you will need to clean the containers out every day and feed them every day--- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- you can also order from this website http://www.reptilesplus.com for small super worms and dubias as well as horn worms --- the horn worms grow really fast so only order a small amount - they are a good hydration worm --- small supers can be used as lures to the salad bowl as well - only use 1-3 in the bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl so they cant get out - the dubias are great to get them to that bowl too - you can feed them after hes eaten from his bowl for like an hr or so then add them to the salad - maybe take a little out and then add them in -- make sure you add those worms to the bowl in front of him so he sees the movement - that will get his attention - my go to website for dubias is not shipping now - they are trying to get caught up on their stock --- they are a good source for all the worms except silk http://www.dubiaroaches.com and the butter worms are hard to get now too seems everyone is out of them - if you need more help let us know --- make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe NO stick ons they are inaccurate and temps should be 105-110
Karrie

Grangerl0813

Original Poster
Claudiusx":3vbgwcxg said:
Hi there :)

It's most likely just some upset from the shedding :)
It's also not uncommon for them to eat well for a couple days, and then stop when they are in a new environment. Usually that happens after a couple days, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that it's still relocation stress.

It's been too short of a time span for the UVB to have caused any issue, but changing it can do nothing but help.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon!!! ?

Grangerl0813

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ccgknhl said:
Its relocation stress and could be shedding too that will effect his eating - he should not completely quit eating tho -- --- but the UVB definitely plays a huge roll in their over all health - so you have the Zilla tube now? And a Reptisun coming? Good your gonna need that inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb if its a T 8-- which I am thinking it is -- basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly underneath the bulb---- I would get it changed out and keep the Zilla bulb for a back up- they are good for 6 months so you will need to replace it then so mark your calendar --- the Reptisun bulb is a way better bulb ---- if I am wrong about the T 8 let me know - distance is different from the T 8 to the T 5 I would get some dubias ordered for him - hes gonna need more than the BSFL your feeding him -- I would use those BSFL as salad toppers for him to lure him to the salad bowl and get him to eat his salad first thing in the morning ---- dubias can be ordered from here http://www.reptilianarts.com - they also have silk worms too - another good staple feeder - if you order bulk make sure you get food too you will need to clean the containers out every day and feed them every day--- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- you can also order from this website http://www.reptilesplus.com for small super worms and dubias as well as horn worms --- the horn worms grow really fast so only order a small amount - they are a good hydration worm --- small supers can be used as lures to the salad bowl as well - only use 1-3 in the bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl so they cant get out - the dubias are great to get them to that bowl too - you can feed them after hes eaten from his bowl for like an hr or so then add them to the salad - maybe take a little out and then add them in -- make sure you add those worms to the bowl in front of him so he sees the movement - that will get his attention - my go to website for dubias is not shipping now - they are trying to get caught up on their stock --- they are a good source for all the worms except silk http://www.dubiaroaches.com and the butter worms are hard to get now too seems everyone is out of them - if you need more help let us know --- make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe NO stick ons they are inaccurate and temps should be 105-110
Karrie

Thank you Karrie!! I really appreciate all your advice!! Idk what I would do without you all lol I'd be a pure nervous wreck all the time lol it's been years since I had a beardie and I dont think I've ever had one this small lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I agree with all the good advice and hopefully Hendrix will be getting his appetite back soon. :) Only thing I'd not do is get any superworms until Hendrix is bigger. What some companies sell as " small " may still be too big and can cause impaction and even the very small ones may cause impaction in a 5-6" beardie. It's usually best to wait until baby beardie's are bigger, in the 8-9" range to introduce superworms and then only a few small ones at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom