Freeze dried crickets plus what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack92011

Hey, guys!

I'm finally getting the hang of being a good beardie dad, but the 'Rona has put a dent in our routine.

I'm a BIG fan of dubia roaches, and that was primarily what Smaug was eating. Well, since things have seemed to have slowed down in the insect trade it's much harder to get my hands on dubias or live crickets. The local pet shop has been consistently out, lately. Now, I always have veggies and freeze dried crickets in his viv so he can snack when he wants to and has never had an issue eating or passing them.

Well, the freeze dried cricket staple diet seem to cause some BM issues. He finally went for the first time in almost 5 or 6 days (the bathing trick really works!), but that's not like him. Are there any other staple veggies or easily available insects that might provide some extra water or fiber that you all would recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here are some websites for staple feeders / worms
www.dubiaroches.com at this time they have suspended sending roaches so they can replenish their stock - they are my go to for dubias --- they have good horn worms butter worms when in stock and super worms
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ have only gotten silk worms from them but they have other feeders
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/ have only ordered UVB bulbs from them they are out of Sacramento
www.https://reptilianarts.com/ silk worms so far I have ordered supers from them now and are en-route if you order silk worms in bulk make sure you get food to feed them -- they need containers cleaned every day and fed
//www.coastalsilkworms.com east coast was out but west coast had them
https://symtonbsf.com/ order large as they are small and make a great salad topper - you dont need to dust them and feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies as well as another staple like dubias etc
Most everyone orders on line for their staple feeders --- Petsmart has been out of super worms for months -- that is the only thing I buy from them -- mine will not eat mealworms and Petsmart seems to have them in stock -- I would ditch the freeze dried crickets and stick w/ live --- much better for their health --
Karrie

Mack92011

Original Poster
I think this might be the second time you've offered me astounding advice, Karrie! Thank you.

Just to clarify, the freeze dried was never more than a snack for him until recently. I want to avoid him getting hungry enough to eat nothing but them, though.

So, the silkworms are a little on the pricey side, but if that's what it take to keep him healthy and happy, I'll do it. Are the BSFL a good staple for an almost adult beardie as well as babies (at least until he can get his favorite creepy crawlies back lol)?

I checked the nutrition sheet in the pinned post, but didn't see anything about the BSFL on it and they are much more affordable.

Mack92011

Original Poster
Scratch that last reply, I missed the part where you said they're a great staple like the dubias!

My bad!

Thanks again! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes they are good its just that they are small so order the large it takes alot of them to fill a older dragon- thats why they are great for babies - I fed Blaze BSFL as a lure to the salad bowl -- and then fed the dubias as his main go to meal believe me he was getting plenty to eat -- w/ the super worms butter worms small horn worms BSFL and salad and dubias it was no wonder he never ate the rest of the day --- I would put one horn worm in w/ 1-2 butter worms -- 1-2 super worms and BSFL on top of his salads every morning --- then about 1-2 hrs later I would feed him his dubias in the same bowl -- and he would eat around 10-12 5/8 inch dubias at that time -- his dubia size has gotten bigger and hes not eating as many of them now - maybe 5-6 or so -- silk worms are a good staple feeder too -- depending on how big they are as horn worms they do grow and I have been getting small so I am growing them out as well --- small ones I feed like 4 if they are getting to be medium size or so around 2-3 along w/ the other worms as well --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Silk worms and horn worms --and supers from I hear all have alot of moisture - the horn worms are a hydrating worm --- I notice when Blaze and Hiccup go to the bathroom there is always a good white urate and puddle of water as well --
Karrie

Mack92011

Original Poster
Thank you, Karrie!

I have some BSFL on the way! I'm going to give them a shot, but seeing as Smaug doesn't seem to be a picky eater, I don't think we'll have a problem. I think once I'm able to get stocked back on dubias, I'm going to try and get a breeder colony going.

Thanks again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom