Beardie not eating veggies? Try this! (My Experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.
{Disclaimer: I know everyone has differing opinions and if you do not agree with me that's great, but please keep the comments respectful. Thanks!}
99234-7183731207.jpg
This is Mushu.
He doesn't like to eat veggies.
He is a big baby when it comes to this.
He is stubborn.

I'm sure your beardie is just like this (most are), that's why I've tried to compile my experience in this area to help new & current beardie owners finally get their beardies to eat!! I have had a lot of trial and error in the sense of feeding beardies salads, and have learned a lot through this as well as the wonderful people here on this forum! (thank you all!) So here's my experience and my tips, hope it helps you!

I adopted Mushu when he was 4 months old and was eager to try a salad with him! Is it just me or is everyone else satisfied when their beardies eat salad? Just me? I tried to feed him greens at this age and caved with bugs when he wouldn't worried he would starve. (yes I know bugs make up the majority of a babies' diet, but it's always great to start salad young!!) So here's the problem... I got into the habit of not feeding him salad when he wouldn't eat, and this made him into the bigger baby he is today at almost 2 years old! So my first tip would be to not cave and try and feed your beardie salad at a young age, but let's be honest most of you are here when he/she's beardie is older and still not loving greens! But that's okay, I'm here to help how I can!

As he grew up his diet became bugs, bugs, and... more bugs! So when I took him to the vet (yearly check-up before brumation) she said he needed more greens and said I had to force-feed him... I was very upset by the news and even more discouraged I would have to force-feed 3x a day, according to my vet!! At first, I was hesitantly compliant but only 2 days in I had enough! I was not going to force-feed him for the rest of his life. It was torture for both of us! It was taking hours upon hours just getting the syringe in his mouth and I was scared I was hurting him so I made a big decision that I will never regret!!!

I decided to offer salad daily (as I was) but no more caving and feeding him bugs. People would accuse me of 'starving' him but I think that word has a terrible definition for what I was actually doing. Starving is when you never offer food to someone/something, and he had food daily so he had the option. It was his move now. A couple of days went by when he would pick things out of his salad(carrots as he loves them!!) or never even touch it. I was discouraged but one day something amazing happened!! He ate his salad! I could not tell you how happy I was!

So now... If you got a beardie who just won't eat please please please try this method! If your hesitant or nervous to try let me defend my case, as I know this method is somewhat controversial in the beardie community. At first, I felt bad but then I remembered something. He is an animal with a stomach, a mind, and legs. His brain and belly tell him when he's hungry and he knows salad is food. An animal would never let themself starve to death if they are hungry and food is available! NEVER! This tactic works for me daily. He is getting used to eating mainly salad (a couple of bugs sometimes as treats after he eats his salad), and I am confident and rest assured he is full when he stops eating. So know this. If he/she's hungry enough, believe me, they'll eat!! Your bearded dragon knows what he/she needs so let them decide! Once your beardie is more loving or willing to eat salad, throw in some treats such as fruit, occasionally, and other enticing veggies. (ones with bright color!)

I know this method might be scary at first but just give it a shot. When I say Mushu is a baby... I mean it! I got handed the most stubborn unique beardie 2 years ago and so when I say this worked... I mean it!! I know this was a long post but I just wanted to help out some struggling beardie owners in hopes of making their life a bit easier. I would love comments and feedback for how this worked for you, so feel free to share. (If you have been recommended to force-feed by a vet please reconsider if your beardie is healthy but just stubborn. With that said If you beardie is sick I wish you all the luck syringe feeding and don't give up, they'll get better soon!) Thanks for reading! :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is a good way to go about it if you have an adult who is at a good weight and otherwise healthy. As you said, they'll eventually get hungry enough to dig into the salads. Adults don't need to eat bugs all that often as long as they have a good variety available in their diet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so I read the article about feeding salads on here that Brandon had posted --- good rule of thumb is to ask the breeder or whom ever your getting the dragon from is are they or have they been feeding greens from when they were hatchlings--- when I got Blaze the breeder I bought from feeds her hatchlings etc salads every day --- she was the one that taught me the tricks on how to get them to eat salads etc ----
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
When you say "eating salad", how much would that be for a 5 month old? And I'm thinking you're meaning just greens? (As you said only add in colorful things once they are eating their salad)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As much as you can get him to eat-- some will alot some will only eat a few bites but as long as he's eating it that's good-- I would add squash some raw shredded sweet potato- green pepper alternate veggies- do you have the nutrition website?
Karrie

MushuDaBeardie

Original Poster
WinFam01":3lkp68q2 said:
When you say "eating salad", how much would that be for a 5 month old? And I'm thinking you're meaning just greens? (As you said only add in colorful things once they are eating their salad)

I would just offer your beardie a salad every day, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll eat it but it would get them used to it. For a 5 month old, I wouldn't say feed it much maybe just a couple greens with some other colorful ones! Also for the younger ones, since their diet mainly is bugs maybe put some roaches/supers on top of the salad. It will help entice them to eat it, and when they lunge for the bugs they'll end up getting a mouth full of greens! If your beardie doesn't eat salad often I wouldn't worry about this method until their older where their main diet is greens, and remember they'll eat when their hungry so he/she should be perfectly fine with what you offer! Hope this helps!

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Ok, thanks.
I think we're on an ok path then. I have the food website just don't always think to look at it.
She will usually try most anything we offer her, but sometimes only a bite. And sometimes just refuses (unless it's colored bell pepper or a dandelion - I don't think she's ever turned those down) ☺️
Just now I made her a tiny salad with kale and a peapod from our garden, plus some acorn squash. She ate a few bites of the greens then discovered the squash, chomped it all down and then wouldn't eat any more greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom