In the feeding babies mindset...how much to feed at 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Like the title says, I’m still in the mindset of my bearded dragons eating like babies. Lots and lots of insects twice a day with salads in the morning. However, they are 6 months old and I want to avoid over feeding them. They are good about eating veggies. Wilbur prefers greens and CandyCane likes squash and fruit and greens. I realize I’ve been feeding bugs twice a day and I probably don’t have to anymore? How much and how often should they get super worms/dubias/BSFL? And how much if I feed medium sized worms and dubias? They’ll eat everything I give them so I can’t trust them lol. They’re prob 17 inches long and I really need to get a scale to see how much they weigh. Both still shed really frequently. Maybe once a month/every 6 weeks. When should I expect that to taper off?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They still need their insects --- but w/ every thing your feeding in the morning I am surprised they are eating in the afternoon --- Blaze tapered off at around 4-5 months at the afternoon feeding -- I was offering but he wasnt eating so I dont feed him in the afternoons - I leave his salad in the tank till around 3 so if he wants he can go eat it along w/ whatever dubias he didnt eat from earlier -- and if yours are still growing w/ the shedding I would keep feeding them --- I see Blazes tail has gotten dark about the last half of it or so -- and right on his tail / butt its gonna shed too --- so hes growing now again --- on April 5 he was 16 inches -- I need to measure him again - he will be 11 months old next weekend-- they can grow til around 1 1/2 I believe - maybe a little longer -- I am not sure
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can definitely drop to once a day insects at their size and age. It's great that they are eating their salads. I typically switch mine over to only once a day bugs after only a few months truth be told. But that's my own preference.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":371r2kzs said:
They still need their insects --- but w/ every thing your feeding in the morning I am surprised they are eating in the afternoon --- Blaze tapered off at around 4-5 months at the afternoon feeding -- I was offering but he wasnt eating so I dont feed him in the afternoons - I leave his salad in the tank till around 3 so if he wants he can go eat it along w/ whatever dubias he didnt eat from earlier -- and if yours are still growing w/ the shedding I would keep feeding them --- I see Blazes tail has gotten dark about the last half of it or so -- and right on his tail / butt its gonna shed too --- so hes growing now again --- on April 5 he was 16 inches -- I need to measure him again - he will be 11 months old next weekend-- they can grow til around 1 1/2 I believe - maybe a little longer -- I am not sure
Karrie

Yea they’re definitely eating in the morning and evening around 2 hours before lights out. They get salad and dubias/worms around 830/9 am and typically eat all the bugs and a few greens. They’ll finish the greens around 1030/11. I’ll remove and give worms/dubias around 5. They eat everything every day. I’ll take some pictures tomorrow of them tomorrow. They’ve gotten even larger.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":2gluravm said:
You can definitely drop to once a day insects at their size and age. It's great that they are eating their salads. I typically switch mine over to only once a day bugs after only a few months truth be told. But that's my own preference.

-Brandon
K. I’m mostly worried about them getting obese lol. They’re not overweight looking at all but I remembered I was supposed to be tapering off on their food. Granted, since they’re getting larger bugs the amount is not the same. They’re not eating 1000 medium roaches a week. It’s been a week and a half since I got 500 in and I still have some and I’ve got a good bit of super worms left too since I ordered 2000 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom