Baby Beardie Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuaBlua

Hello! I was looking through the Feeding Discussions and found it all slightly confusing and overwhelming, so decided it would just be easier if I made my own!

I recently got my baby beardie (named Shiho), and I think she's about 3-4 weeks old? Not entirely sure. (But young!)

I've only had her 5 days so she's not eating as much as I assume she should be, she's only really been eating once a day apart from today I had to hand feed her 2 crickets this evening since she wouldn't get off her bum out of her basking spot!

I've also only really had the chance to feed her (small, silent) crickets thus far, but plan on going back to my local reptile centre for more live feed soon! She eats no more than 10 every morning, (it's the cutest thing in the world), but doesn't usually have an appetite for the rest of the day, I assume due to relocation stress. She's slowly becoming more hungry as the days go by.

The reptile centre I got her from advised I dust every feeding with calcium, apart from Wednesdays and Sundays with multivitamins. So far I've been doing that!

Now onto the actual questions... I was wondering what other live feed I can give her, both as the main staple and alongside. I've been thinking of getting small dubia roaches and worms of some kind but I'm not sure which? I know that mealworms aren't the most nutritional and lots of others I've been advised not to feed to a baby.

She's also not really been eating many greens, I managed to give her some coriander the first night I got her and she ate a leaf yesterday, but she hasn't taken anything else apart from that. I've tried coriander, kale, parsley and celery (obviously chopped very finely) and she won't take any, but I'm not surprised, since I'm sure again relocation stress is a factor in the mix. They seem more appealing to her if I've sprinkled some calcium supplement which I find interesting. Regardless, I try to feed her greens every feeding and will continue to! She'll often lick anything I hold close to her, but won't eat it.
I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get them to eat their greens, but also what other greens are the best to feed! I'm in the UK so I'm not and the shops aren't really familiar with things like 'mustard greens, parsnip greens' etc.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get a small glass dish or ceramic one that worms and insects cant get out --- order some small dubia roaches from here http://www.reptilesplus.com and some small super worms as well as nutri grubs also known as BSFL phoenix worms and calci worms- order large as they are small -- when they come in feed your salad first thing in the morning w/ 1-3 small super worms and as many as you want the nutri grubs do not dust them they are full of calcium make sure you add the worms to the salad bowl in front of her it will draw her attention to that bowl -- the nutri grubs are a good staple feeder for a baby - I recommend you use them as lures to the salad bowl and still feed the dubias--- after about an hr or so of her eating from the bowl add your dubias - take a little salad out but leave some in so when shes eating her dubias shes still getting salad -- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
you can also order silk worms - they are another great staple feeder - you will need to order small and food if you order bulk like 50 or so http://www.reptilianarts.com http://www.coastilsilkworms.com http://www.mulberryfarms.com your calcium D3 should be 5 x per week w/ the vitamins 2 x per week - and I would dust the bugs - not the veggies as you know she will eat the insects -- you can use the silk worms to lure her to the salad bowl as well-- you can use butter worms but everyone is out now that I know of --- horn worms are good but they grow really fast and get really big I would hold off on those for now -- Happy shopping--- oh dear I just read your in the UK well look for some of the worms over there I have mentioned you should be able to find some of those
Karrie

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Hi!
I've had really good luck with Dubia roaches and BSFL. Our beardie, Mario, was about the same age as Shiho when we got him. We feed him the bugs in a shallow bowl twice a day.

As to helping with greens, sometimes we put his salad on one side of the bowl and drop some BSFL on there. He gets some greens every few bites. :wink:
(That was a great tip from Karrie!)

-Ian

LuaBlua

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1rqal68a said:
Get a small glass dish or ceramic one that worms and insects cant get out --- order some small dubia roaches and some small super worms as well as nutri grubs also known as BSFL phoenix worms and calci worms - when they come in feed your salad first thing in the morning w/ 1-3 small super worms and as many as you want the nutri grubs do not dust them they are full of calcium make sure you add the worms to the salad bowl in front of her it will draw her attention to that bowl -- the nutri grubs are a good staple feeder for a baby - I recommend you use them as lures to the salad bowl and still feed the dubias--- after about an hr or so of her eating from the bowl add your dubias - take a little salad out but leave some in so when shes eating her dubias shes still getting salad -- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
you can also order silk worms - they are another great staple feeder - your calcium D3 should be 5 x per week w/ the vitamins 2 x per week - and I would dust the bugs - not the veggies as you know she will eat the insects -- you can use the silk worms to lure her to the salad bowl as well-- you can use butter worms but everyone is out now that I know of --- horn worms are good but they grow really fast and get really big I would hold off on those for now -- Happy shopping--- oh dear I just read your in the UK well look for some of the worms over there I have mentioned you should be able to find some of those
Karrie

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely use the ceramic bowl with salad + worms, I'm going to get some small calci worms tomorrow alongside maybe some other insects from my local reptile centre, however they don't supply small dubias, only medium so I'll have to find those elsewhere.

Once I get hold of small superworms as well, would I put those in the same bowl as the calci worms (and the salad) or would they go separate?

LuaBlua

Original Poster
MariosDad":3li8oart said:
Hi!
I've had really good luck with Dubia roaches and BSFL. Our beardie, Mario, was about the same age as Shiho when we got him. We feed him the bugs in a shallow bowl twice a day.

As to helping with greens, sometimes we put his salad on one side of the bowl and drop some BSFL on there. He gets some greens every few bites. :wink:
(That was a great tip from Karrie!)

-Ian
Yes thank you so much! I'm definitely going to try the BSFL alongside greens trick, hopefully she'll tolerate it!
She does tend to be the boss of me afterall. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom