My Beardie will only eat freeze-dried!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanmcarter

I recently got Black Soldier Fly Larvae from Symton BSF on the recommendation of many beardie owners, but my beardie won't touch them. She doesn't seem to want to eat anything that moves and she has been seemingly "hiding" every time they are in her cage. She was eating only freeze-dried crickets before (I recently got her from someone else who could not take care of her).

I have tried putting the crickets in the same bowl as the larvae and she will eat the crickets but won't touch the larvae. I know she has been given live crickets before but I don't remember her eating them well either. Is it the BSF that she doesn't like, or is she just used to the freeze-dried crickets? Any recommendations on how I can get her on a good diet to get her/keep her healthy? She eats greens very well. She's a 2-year-old dragon and has been healthy and friendly, I just want to be able to feed her good stuff.

Thanks in advance.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
hanmcarter":3nnjqmif said:
She doesn't seem to want to eat anything that moves
Well, THAT's a switch--mine won't eat anything that isn't moving, and wouldn't eat BSFL because they weren't (once they started pupating).

There's an idea--allow the BSFL to begin pupating; they'll stop moving (or at least slow down considerably), then try again.

The only other solution I can think of is what I'm having to do to get mine to eat greens and dubias (he got hooked on superworms) again--starve her. When she gets hungry enough (a week or more shouldn't hurt at that age) she'll hunt & eat live prey again. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom