Controversial topics: mealworms and superworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
So this is a really controversial topic in my opinion. But what are your thoughts on feeding hard shelled insects like those to your bearded dragons. I currently stand not to feed those to my older dragons but only to my little picky dragon. My reason being is that because there is chitin in the skin of those worms it is non digestible and can lead to impaction. The store where i got my dragons says not to feed them mealworms or superworms at all. However the store across town where i got my geckos says that you can feed them to young dragons without a problem. I asked for their reasoning and they said that as the dragon grows its gut will grow and anything that was previously stuck will leave the body. Im curious to hear your inputs on this topic... just keep it civil!! :wink:

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
I'll feed my guy 2 or 3 supers a week as a snack if he is a good boy about eating his salad. He loves them. Or if my local shop has them instead of supers I'll give him 1 hornworm a week as a treat.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I feed supers once in a while. If they are part of a balanced diet and not the focus (no one thing should really be a focus) then it can be beneficial. Hard shelled bugs in particular can assist with dental health. Offer as much variety as you can within reason though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom