Cooked Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
Can beardies eat semi-cooked greens? I was looking up ways to keep greens fresh longer and they recommended “blanching” them, or dipping them in boiling water and then freezing them? I waste so many greens and buy new all the time. Just trying to cut cost. But of course if it isn’t good for her I’ll stick to being wasteful for my baby. Haha. Blanching is supposed to lock in the nutrients so freezing doesn’t make them lose nutritional value but I didn’t know if them being soft from the blanching is a bad thing. Of course I will still always provide fresh for her. Though maybe I could half and half it, like save some fresh and then blanch whatever amount I won’t go through in a week that will end up going bad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I take my greens out of the bag they come home in clean them up like deveining them etc put them in a zip loc bag as dry as I can get them and I just opened up the last zip loc I had this morning w/ collard turnip some kale in the bags and they were in there for 3 weeks I believe I was impressed they lasted that long w/ out me having to pull yucky ones out --- I think I had about 7-8 bags in the crispier -- I dont know about the blanching thing but freezing would seem to take the nutrition out -- you can see who else post what they do I know Brandon does different things w/ containers -- I got as much air out of the bag as possible and folded it up and put in fridge --
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Agree with Karrie. Def helps to have them as dry as possible. That can be tough with curly kale, it holds water in all those curly leaves and the last I bought rotted in 2 weeks. Flat leaf greens are much easier to get dry and will last longer. ?
I bought frozen collards for Petey in event of emergency. I thawed and dried a small handful, he ate about 25%. Don't think he was impressed with it. ? But if there absolutely wasn't anything else, I know he WILL eat a little, maybe. ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom