Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi there!

New dragon owner. Before continuing, please read over his story to know what environment he was in and the changes I made:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

You may notice I've posted a lot, mostly because I care about my baby so much and want to make sure everything goes well with his new environment. I just purchased some BSFL from Petsmart and the woman told me they must be refrigerated and smell a bit like vinegar because it stops their transformation process? (IDk if this is true or not).

Today, I tried to feed Drogon a few larvae and he was not having it. I'm wondering if it's because his previous owner never fed them to him. Do you think it's the vinegar smell? I tried misting them with some water and he was still like "nope." I hope I didn't just buy this for nothing -__-

Also, do dragons have days when they want to eat more than others? Yesterday he was an eating machine and today he's like meh..no thanks.

Thanks for all the info and help :)
Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 pm

He may just not be in the mood for them now, that's OK. Keep offering them and he may eventually dig in. You can keep the bsfl in their container at room temperature. Mine usually last a month or two that way before changing into flies (which are also a good treat to offer). You can keep them cooler in a wine fridge but I wouldn't put them in an area as cold as a regular refrigerator. I just leave mine on the table next to my dragon's gear and it's fine. And they do have a lot of ups and downs with their appetite. As long as he is active and alert but ignoring food he is probably just not hungry.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 25663
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Thank you for responding!

My little guy wasn't exposed to a varied diet, so with new food he literally looks at me like o___O u want me to eat that? Lol.

He won't even eat greens from his dish! I have to hand feed it to him -_- such a cute brat lol.

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 pm

Also, a bit off topic, but are dragon toes naturally flexible? Sometimes when he's laying in my land or on his perch his toes curve underneath him or in weird angles, but he walks and jumps perfectly fine?

[Click image to enlarge]
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi there,

Responded to your PM :)
Perfectly normal :)

In regards to the BSFL, I'd just like to echo what cooper said. However what is this about vinegar? I've never heard of that. Do your BSFL smell like vinegar?

Two of my dragons won't eat them. 1 will tolerate them. And 1 will absolutely devour them. Of all the bugs out there, I think BSFL are the most hit or miss with whether or not a dragon likes them. But if they do, they are a great feeder.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 18867
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Dreamaliens » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:37 pm

Selkie1993 wrote:Also, a bit off topic, but are dragon toes naturally flexible? Sometimes when he's laying in my land or on his perch his toes curve underneath him or in weird angles, but he walks and jumps perfectly fine?

[Click image to enlarge]


I am a new beardie owner, too. Mine came from a not so good home and I have been wondering about alll the questions you just posted. Sometimes mine will eat like a pig sometimes he won’t. He also won’t touch his greens. I have even tried putting it on a butterworm and letting the butterworm curl over it, I tricked him once with that and now when I do it he literally flicks it across his tank lol! I have only had him for 8 days and am trying to find other ways to get him to take his greens. I have tried hand feeding him the greens and he wants nothing to do with it. Phoenix is my dragons name and he was surrendered to petco and wasn’t receiving adequate uvb lighting, calcium, or food. As well as his tank being too small for him it curled his tail. He was showing very pre signs of mbd when I got him and ordered bsfl right away. They came in the mail three or four days ago and he ate 2 the first night and hasn’t touched them since. Even though he literally needs to eat them lol. I am picking up some Dubias tomorrow so I’m hoping he will like those. He hasn’t been a fan of any staple insect feeder I have tried giving him. He will eat a couple crickets though but not many like 5 tops. He absolutely loves butter worms but I read they aren’t a good staple feeder. He was eating dried mealworms at petco and I haven’t fed those at all since I brought Phoenix home because of the fact they can cause impaction. I can;t believe the personalities these little guys have, lol.
Dreamaliens
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:50 pm

@dreamaliens-- what kind of lighting set up and how old is the dragon?? The treat worms should be used only to get them into the food bowl- I would use a glass dish that the worms cannot get out of --- take some of your BSFL as many as you want sprinkle on top along w/ like 1-3 super worms --- make sure he sees you add these to the food bowl so it gets his attention - let him eat from that bowl for 30-45 minutes then add your staple feeder like dubias and put them in w/ the vegies --- the movement will get him back to that bowl - mine is 4 months old and he gets in the bowl to eat or he leans his head in and pulls out greens and bugs-- he should be eating more than 5 crickets ---- I would feed a second feeding in the afternoon -- hopefully hes gonna for those dubias make sure you add them to his salad tho
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 8989
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:22 pm

claudiusx wrote:Hi there,

Responded to your PM :)
Perfectly normal :)

In regards to the BSFL, I'd just like to echo what cooper said. However what is this about vinegar? I've never heard of that. Do your BSFL smell like vinegar?

Two of my dragons won't eat them. 1 will tolerate them. And 1 will absolutely devour them. Of all the bugs out there, I think BSFL are the most hit or miss with whether or not a dragon likes them. But if they do, they are a great feeder.

-Brandon



Brandon,
Yay! Phew. Thank goodness. I swear, they smell like vinegar :silent: I believe she said it prevents them from morphing?? Maybe it has to do with their food. That's why I sprayed them a bit. If something smelled like straight vinegar I wouldn't eat it either!!
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Dreamaliens wrote:
Selkie1993 wrote:Also, a bit off topic, but are dragon toes naturally flexible? Sometimes when he's laying in my land or on his perch his toes curve underneath him or in weird angles, but he walks and jumps perfectly fine?

[Click image to enlarge]


I am a new beardie owner, too. Mine came from a not so good home and I have been wondering about alll the questions you just posted. Sometimes mine will eat like a pig sometimes he won’t. He also won’t touch his greens. I have even tried putting it on a butterworm and letting the butterworm curl over it, I tricked him once with that and now when I do it he literally flicks it across his tank lol! I have only had him for 8 days and am trying to find other ways to get him to take his greens. I have tried hand feeding him the greens and he wants nothing to do with it. Phoenix is my dragons name and he was surrendered to petco and wasn’t receiving adequate uvb lighting, calcium, or food. As well as his tank being too small for him it curled his tail. He was showing very pre signs of mbd when I got him and ordered bsfl right away. They came in the mail three or four days ago and he ate 2 the first night and hasn’t touched them since. Even though he literally needs to eat them lol. I am picking up some Dubias tomorrow so I’m hoping he will like those. He hasn’t been a fan of any staple insect feeder I have tried giving him. He will eat a couple crickets though but not many like 5 tops. He absolutely loves butter worms but I read they aren’t a good staple feeder. He was eating dried mealworms at petco and I haven’t fed those at all since I brought Phoenix home because of the fact they can cause impaction. I can;t believe the personalities these little guys have, lol.



Hey there!
I'm so sorry your beardie wasn't taken care of :( I actually learned a fantastic trick to help with greens! First, wash a bunch of different types. I like organicgirl power greens. It has kale, spinach, dandelion, tango. ALl the good stuff! Make sure the leaves have some moisture or water on them. Rip them into thin long strands or smaller depending on how big your beardie is. Gently rub the leave by his mouth, just by his lips. He may lick it, look at it and then try it. I think at our stage, beardies will sometimes eat and othertimes theyre like "nah, I ate a lot yesterday." I'm getting married in a few days, and we have people coming over so I think that's partially why. He just moved in and he's a bit stressed.

Let me know if the trick works! :) I learned it here on the site!
Selkie :blob8:
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Dreamaliens » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:24 pm

KarrieRee wrote:@dreamaliens-- what kind of lighting set up and how old is the dragon?? The treat worms should be used only to get them into the food bowl- I would use a glass dish that the worms cannot get out of --- take some of your BSFL as many as you want sprinkle on top along w/ like 1-3 super worms --- make sure he sees you add these to the food bowl so it gets his attention - let him eat from that bowl for 30-45 minutes then add your staple feeder like dubias and put them in w/ the vegies --- the movement will get him back to that bowl - mine is 4 months old and he gets in the bowl to eat or he leans his head in and pulls out greens and bugs-- he should be eating more than 5 crickets ---- I would feed a second feeding in the afternoon -- hopefully hes gonna for those dubias make sure you add them to his salad tho
Karrie


We are unaware of his age- however he is 12inches long. Petco says his growth was stunted because he was in too small of an Enclosure, didn't have uvb lights and was only fed wax worms and meal worms. He finally took about 7 pieces of colly greens from my hand tonight. He also drank water like three times which I haven't seen him do since he's been home. He hasn't done that yet. He ate 5 crickets this morning. And then this afternoon he ate 7 crickets 2 bsfl and to get him alfalfa sprouts, mustard greens, colly greens etc I gave him a butterworm. I will try the superworm thing. I thought they were the same thing as mealworms just bigger- so I thought they caused impaction. As for the lights PetSmart sold me the zilla slime t8 something uvb light which was soooo way wrong. I actually ended up mounting it inside his terrarium until the reptisun 10.0 t5 Ho came in the mail this morning and since he's been under the reptisun his appetite and alertness has increased. He has 100watt basking light. Temps on the hot side are 103-109 and on the cool side 80-82°. at night it's right at 72°. I moved him into a 55 gallon this morning. How far away should I mount the reptisun?
Dreamaliens
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Dreamaliens » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:26 pm

Selkie1993 wrote:
Dreamaliens wrote:
Selkie1993 wrote:Also, a bit off topic, but are dragon toes naturally flexible? Sometimes when he's laying in my land or on his perch his toes curve underneath him or in weird angles, but he walks and jumps perfectly fine?

[Click image to enlarge]


I am a new beardie owner, too. Mine came from a not so good home and I have been wondering about alll the questions you just posted. Sometimes mine will eat like a pig sometimes he won’t. He also won’t touch his greens. I have even tried putting it on a butterworm and letting the butterworm curl over it, I tricked him once with that and now when I do it he literally flicks it across his tank lol! I have only had him for 8 days and am trying to find other ways to get him to take his greens. I have tried hand feeding him the greens and he wants nothing to do with it. Phoenix is my dragons name and he was surrendered to petco and wasn’t receiving adequate uvb lighting, calcium, or food. As well as his tank being too small for him it curled his tail. He was showing very pre signs of mbd when I got him and ordered bsfl right away. They came in the mail three or four days ago and he ate 2 the first night and hasn’t touched them since. Even though he literally needs to eat them lol. I am picking up some Dubias tomorrow so I’m hoping he will like those. He hasn’t been a fan of any staple insect feeder I have tried giving him. He will eat a couple crickets though but not many like 5 tops. He absolutely loves butter worms but I read they aren’t a good staple feeder. He was eating dried mealworms at petco and I haven’t fed those at all since I brought Phoenix home because of the fact they can cause impaction. I can;t believe the personalities these little guys have, lol.



Hey there!
I'm so sorry your beardie wasn't taken care of :( I actually learned a fantastic trick to help with greens! First, wash a bunch of different types. I like organicgirl power greens. It has kale, spinach, dandelion, tango. ALl the good stuff! Make sure the leaves have some moisture or water on them. Rip them into thin long strands or smaller depending on how big your beardie is. Gently rub the leave by his mouth, just by his lips. He may lick it, look at it and then try it. I think at our stage, beardies will sometimes eat and othertimes theyre like "nah, I ate a lot yesterday." I'm getting married in a few days, and we have people coming over so I think that's partially why. He just moved in and he's a bit stressed.

Let me know if the trick works! :) I learned it here on the site!
Selkie :blob8:
btw; my dragons toes does the same thing! I have found that to be perfectly normal. Now for your advice on getting him to eat his greens, he took 7 pieces of colly greens from me tonight. I'm one happy momma. Lol thanks for the advice!
Dreamaliens
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:09 pm

Dreamaliens wrote:
Selkie1993 wrote:
Dreamaliens wrote:
Selkie1993 wrote:Also, a bit off topic, but are dragon toes naturally flexible? Sometimes when he's laying in my land or on his perch his toes curve underneath him or in weird angles, but he walks and jumps perfectly fine?

[Click image to enlarge]


I am a new beardie owner, too. Mine came from a not so good home and I have been wondering about alll the questions you just posted. Sometimes mine will eat like a pig sometimes he won’t. He also won’t touch his greens. I have even tried putting it on a butterworm and letting the butterworm curl over it, I tricked him once with that and now when I do it he literally flicks it across his tank lol! I have only had him for 8 days and am trying to find other ways to get him to take his greens. I have tried hand feeding him the greens and he wants nothing to do with it. Phoenix is my dragons name and he was surrendered to petco and wasn’t receiving adequate uvb lighting, calcium, or food. As well as his tank being too small for him it curled his tail. He was showing very pre signs of mbd when I got him and ordered bsfl right away. They came in the mail three or four days ago and he ate 2 the first night and hasn’t touched them since. Even though he literally needs to eat them lol. I am picking up some Dubias tomorrow so I’m hoping he will like those. He hasn’t been a fan of any staple insect feeder I have tried giving him. He will eat a couple crickets though but not many like 5 tops. He absolutely loves butter worms but I read they aren’t a good staple feeder. He was eating dried mealworms at petco and I haven’t fed those at all since I brought Phoenix home because of the fact they can cause impaction. I can;t believe the personalities these little guys have, lol.



Hey there!
I'm so sorry your beardie wasn't taken care of :( I actually learned a fantastic trick to help with greens! First, wash a bunch of different types. I like organicgirl power greens. It has kale, spinach, dandelion, tango. ALl the good stuff! Make sure the leaves have some moisture or water on them. Rip them into thin long strands or smaller depending on how big your beardie is. Gently rub the leave by his mouth, just by his lips. He may lick it, look at it and then try it. I think at our stage, beardies will sometimes eat and othertimes theyre like "nah, I ate a lot yesterday." I'm getting married in a few days, and we have people coming over so I think that's partially why. He just moved in and he's a bit stressed.

Let me know if the trick works! :) I learned it here on the site!
Selkie :blob8:
btw; my dragons toes does the same thing! I have found that to be perfectly normal. Now for your advice on getting him to eat his greens, he took 7 pieces of colly greens from me tonight. I'm one happy momma. Lol thanks for the advice!



Yay! So glad I helped you out :) As Brandon, one of the moderators told me, your beardie may go through some relocation stress, especially with the borderline abuse he had to deal with at the pet store >_< some days, he will be hungry and others he may need to decompress. I've found that cuddling with my beardie on my chest with a towel over him really calms him down and deepens the bond. I just added you as a friend, so send me updates and pics when you can :)

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:46 am

@dreamaliens---- the 55 gallon tank is good ---- are you taking basking temps w/ a digital probe and or infrared heat gun?? the T 8 you were using is fine --- hang onto it for a back up --- the T 5 can go on top of screen but it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking for it to be on top --- no cover on bulb - it needs to be exposed--- if your putting it inside tank place it 12-15 inches from basking area again no cover on bulb --- it is your choice ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 8989
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Selkie1993 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:20 am

UPDATE:

Drogon ate some larvae today along with 12 crickets o__o I guess with beardies some days they're interested and others they're ravenous. I love feeding him ^_^

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Postby Annageckos » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:25 am

Dragons have likes and dislikes. My dragon loved BSFL and butterworms then the next order decided he didn't like the BSFL at all and will eat the butterworms reluctantly. Roaches get devoured every time however. So far he has refused crickets too but loves his veggies. Some are picky, some not so much. And it seems it can vary too, so if you can try to reintroduce foods your dragon refused from time to time. Variety is important IMO.
Anna, Stubbs and too many animals too list
Annageckos
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:12 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Feeding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users