mini mealworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

RastaDragon

hi everyone,

i know this is one of those things that has been asked a million times, please forgive me for asking.

my boy is 4 and half months old.

aswell as his greens, his regular diet is crickets, dubias, locusts and calci worms.

just recently he has pretty much only had crickets (various reasons - failed attempt to breed dubias and crickets meant i had LOTS of crickets and the dubias i have here are all too big, i ordered LOTS of the right size dubias but they are currently stuck at my brother in laws house and i can't get them due to being in self isolation for 14 days).

anyways - he was getting very very bored of the crickets, so as of this morning i now have a bunch of locusts for him which should cheer him up, but i also wanted him to try something new so i also ordered some mini-mealworms.

i don't really know why i got them as i know very well that mealworms are probably the least recommended thing to give a Beardie.

so i just wanted to ask - can i give him these as like a little treat for having to put up with such a boring diet over the past week?

or should i just steer clear not give them to him?

i have tried to give him silkworms (after reading that not only are they good food, but that Dragons LOVE them) - but it turns out that Boggle must be the only Dragon that HATES them!

thanks everyone, stay safe out there,
RD

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

By mini mealworms do you mean just small meal worms or do you actually mean mini mealworms. Mini mealworms are a different species than regular mealworms. That being said, either would be fine. Mealworms really aren't that bad.

-Brandon

RastaDragon

Original Poster
hi,

ummm... actually i have no idea, they are called "mini mealworms" i had no idea that could mean two different things!

anyway, its a moot point now - Boggle has absolutely no interest in them whatsoever!

RD.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aww that's too bad.

Yes, true Mini Mealworms are Tenebrio obscurus. Regular mealworms are Tenebrio molitor. Some companies don't know that they two different "mealworm" species actually exist on the market, and label their small T. Molitor (mealworm) that haven't grown up yet as mini mealworms, followed by small, med, and large.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Claudiusx":2gicdbsw said:
Yes, true Mini Mealworms are Tenebrio obscurus. Regular mealworms are Tenebrio molitor. Some companies don't know that they two different "mealworm" species actually exist on the market, and label their small T. Molitor (mealworm) that haven't grown up yet as mini mealworms, followed by small, med, and large.
I didn't know that either. Could explain why the mealworms I got at the local pet store were so much smaller than the ones I remember as a kid, even after a few months. Moot here too. I tried to get Z to finish off the mealworms, but he turned up his nose. Those supers really are beardie crack! :laughing6:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom