Preprepping veggies - yes or no? Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all!
I was wondering how others handle their beardie's veggies. I'm one of those that prefer to preprep things so I don't have to do it every day. But I've found this doesn't work out for us.
If I dice a zucchini or shred a carrot, put them in small lidded containers, they get slimey in about 5 days but if I cut/shred daily he can eat it till it's gone. A couple weeks anyway. Fortunately greens hold up well but still longer if not cut/torn ahead of time.
I'm pretty picky about his salads and if it's not fresh and appetizing I'll toss it out.
I'm sure with multiple dragons it probably works better because you use it up faster. But with just 1, I do his stuff daily.
Opinions and suggestions welcome! How do you handle the veggies?
-Dee

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
To make them stay fresh longer in the fridge spray them with water occasionally and do the same when u put them in his enclosure so they last longer under the light no only do they prolong the produce it helps hydrate your dragon aswell

I try to handle mine 30minutes a day or for 15mins twice a day but mine is still young and not warm enough outside to give him sunlight and you still want to give him days where you don't handle him really but maybe pet or still handfeed but that's me and mine is one of the tamiest I've dealt with

The only prep I do is cut the stems off when I get them.When I'm giving his veggies in the morning I give him a uncut whole piece by hand for him to feast on and for the ones I leave in the tank some semi big pieces and small I shred them by hand as they do enjoy the bigger pieces I dont not go by the space between their eye rule I've fed my younging superworm that was huge no risk of impaction they dont have exoskeleton or chitin and they dont bite.

Of You offer live plants he will always have fresh just spray them down once or twice a day to keep them thriving

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Wickedpogana":3asi07js said:
To make them stay fresh longer in the fridge spray them with water occasionally and do the same when u put them in his enclosure so they last longer under the light no only do they prolong the produce it helps hydrate your dragon aswell

I try to handle mine 30minutes a day or for 15mins twice a day but mine is still young and not warm enough outside to give him sunlight and you still want to give him days where you don't handle him really but maybe pet or still handfeed but that's me and mine is one of the tamiest I've dealt with

The only prep I do is cut the stems off when I get them.When I'm giving his veggies in the morning I give him a uncut whole piece by hand for him to feast on and for the ones I leave in the tank some semi big pieces and small I shred them by hand as they do enjoy the bigger pieces I dont not go by the space between their eye rule I've fed my younging superworm that was huge no risk of impaction they dont have exoskeleton or chitin and they dont bite.

Of You offer live plants he will always have fresh just spray them down once or twice a day to keep them thriving

Everything in Petey's salad bowl is dripping. ? I also put it on the cooler side of the middle so it's not under his basking light too.
As the weather warms up some, I'm going to plant a few herbs, basil, cilantro, oregano etc and see if he likes them. Add some extra flavor to his salads.
I tear or cut into beardie bite size, his veggies. Greens about size of a quarter, squashes about 1/4 inch dice and hard stuff, i.e. carrot, sweet potato, shredded. Sometimes larger shred sometimes fine shred. Depends on my mood. ? Fine shred works well for carrot, which he doesn't have often and doesn't particularly care for but I want him to get a little and the fine shreds stick to his greens. ?
But I leave his stuff whole before I feed because it gets nasty fast if you cut it up ahead of time, at least in my case.? Which is the thought behind this post.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I make Z's salad every morning--takes 5 min. or less. Part of my morning routine now.
I don't add any water because his feces are wet enough as it is.
It usually takes him all day to eat it, if he does. By the end of the day, it's pretty... leathery, but sometimes he seems to like it that way. :dontknow:
Any way I can get it in him...

He's even pickier about fruits & veggies. I try to keep a few cubes/berries/grapes/veggies from the grocery salad bar in the fridge. They last ~5-7 days before getting too slimy to deal with, but we generally go to the market once a week anyway.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I cut squash and other veges to order and just cover the unused bit with foil. I do prep the greens. As soon as I get home I will wash them, cut the stems, then put large pieces into a ziploc with a piece of paper towel and store in the fridge. The greens tend to stay crisp for weeks that way.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
@ Mr Spectrum and Coop. I'm there with ya. Make it fresh daily and keep everything in zip bags between uses.
When I would pet sit for son and DIL, before they gave me Petey, I'd prep enough for about a week for both dragons. If I had 2 or more I can see doing it weekly. They ate most of what I prepped in the week the kids were gone. Would leave uncut produce for DIL for the following week.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom