Orange foods and larvae

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkk

Greetings! I'm a newbie here. We recently adopted a beardie of unknown age and origin as she was dropped off at a pet shop and had been neglected. She came to us from a local reptile rescue organization. As we know that she is older due to her size, we are feeding her mostly greens and veggies with some insects. What we've noticed so far that she loves to eat red/orange foods. Is that a beardie thing because those veggies are typically sweeter than others? Fortunately I've been able to coerce her into eating some greens by placing tiny pieces of these foods to her greens, but she definitely prefers those foods and attempts to just pick these out of her salad. Also, she much prefers to hunt live/moving insects and mostly ignores the larvae in her bowl. I also try to move food items at the end of tongs like they're alive so that she will have to catch them, but she snubs my attempts. Any insight is helpful. Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The color preference is something specific to her more than a general dragon thing. They all develop their own favorites/preferences over time. The going after moving food thing is fairly universal. Including some live bugs in the diet is good but you can also try to imitate movement by holding the food as you've been doing. I would keep that up and it may catch her interest eventually. I've also had good luck cutting squash into worm shapes and then moving it around. That may also be worth a try.

76248-9983280538.jpg

mkk

Original Poster
Thank you for your recommendations! I have started cutting into worm shapes. We're still experimenting with foods here. I think she's expecting me to fill her bowl with nothing but treats. Same, sister, same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom