Questions on Feeding adult BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all! I'm writing a book here! LOL!
Have a few questions about adult feeding.
-My Petey gets fed once a day, large mixed salad. He doesn't eat it all at once, but grazes throughout the day, usually eating it all. Occasionally he'll have left overs and eat it the next day after he's warmed up, before I make a new salad. Is this ok? Doesn't seem to bother him that's it's not fresh. Although, anything left gets tossed, he always gets fresh salad daily.
-Vitamins and calcium dusting? I know babies and young Beardies need supplements regularly. Being approx 2.5 yo I'm guessing he doesn't, since he eats well, lights and temps correct. Is it ok to dust a small pinch of vites or calcium on his salad or on his worms on protein days? Just as a boost in nutrition?
-Protein days. Besides his salad daily, 2-3 times a week, he gets 4-5 fat superworms in addition to his salad. Does that seem appropriate for his age? More? Less? Usually every third day.
-About Supers- when I feed his Supers I had been tossing out anything that looked slow or dead, then realized the pet stores sell dead, freeze dried, etc in addition to live ones so I let him have them. Should be ok?
-Hydration- He doesn't 'drink' water. All his salad fixings are rinsed and wet when fed. He has no poo or urate issues. Exactly as they should be, occassionaly more wet than normal after high water food, like bell peppers or a bit of fruit. He's not overly fond of fruit and I understand it shouldn't be fed often. If I use it, he won't eat more than 2 tiny bits. He does get a light warm water mist couple times a week, maybe warm soak every couple weeks.

Also, what about shedding? Babies seem to be in an almost constant state of shed, they grow SO fast! What about adults? Obviously their size doesn't change much even though eating well. Unless they are getting fat, shedding doesn't happen much correct? Not like adult snakes that continue to grow and shed regularly.

Ok I've monopolized enough space! ? Just want to check that I'm doing what's best for Petey. Only had him since Thansgiving and have made lots of changes, all for the better.

Thanks everyone for your time!
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Dee,

It's perfectly fine if he eats some of his dried up salad before you get a chance to replace it. Sometimes they tend to like the crunch it seems lol.

For adults I typically only dust the bugs. And usually only 3 times a week or so with calcium.
I rarely use multivitamins, but if I do it's more so like once every other week if anything.

Your protein days are what I have always done with my adults. 3 days (or every other day) of insects }+ salad, and then just salad on other days. The amount of supers you are feeding is about what I do too.

You can feed the slow ones, but I'd just toss the dead ones.

If the salads are misted he's likely getting a decent amount of moisture, especially if poo's/urates look ok. I'd continue with the misting or dripping water on his nose every so often just to see if he will drink. It won't hurt him to drink a bit :)

Shedding is pretty much directly tied to growth. So as they become adults, and become full grown, shedding becomes quite a rare occurrence. Full grown adults still can go through sheds, or certain parts of the body might shed, but it's severely decreased from the growth stage.

You've done a lot of good for Petey so far Dee :)

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2x4jwenc said:
Hi Dee,

It's perfectly fine if he eats some of his dried up salad before you get a chance to replace it. Sometimes they tend to like the crunch it seems lol.

For adults I typically only dust the bugs. And usually only 3 times a week or so with calcium.
I rarely use multivitamins, but if I do it's more so like once every other week if anything.

Your protein days are what I have always done with my adults. 3 days (or every other day) of insects }+ salad, and then just salad on other days. The amount of supers you are feeding is about what I do too.

You can feed the slow ones, but I'd just toss the dead ones.

If the salads are misted he's likely getting a decent amount of moisture, especially if poo's/urates look ok. I'd continue with the misting or dripping water on his nose every so often just to see if he will drink. It won't hurt him to drink a bit :)

Shedding is pretty much directly tied to growth. So as they become adults, and become full grown, shedding becomes quite a rare occurrence. Full grown adults still can go through sheds, or certain parts of the body might shed, but it's severely decreased from the growth stage.

You've done a lot of good for Petey so far Dee :)

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon! I'm not near as scared of doing something wrong now. ? was pretty anxious early on. I suppose most of us newbies have a tendency to 'overthink' it.
I'm pretty relaxed now and feel he's doing well. I had pythons in the past and they grow and shed slowly but regularly. Figured Beardies don't shed much as adults since they don't continue to grow until passing. If that was the case, we'd have 10 ft Beardies! LOL!
Didn't want him to have too much protein being adult or too much fat. Obese is not healthy. Hence the limit on Supers. OMG he'd prob eat 20 if I let him! Then be sick from over indulging. Super hangover! I put 4-5 in his worm dish and they are inhaled! Oh and supers are doing fine, fat and molting. Topped up the oatmeal and add fresh carrot or sweet potato every few days, removing whatever wasn't eaten. Going to 'clean' the container, get rid of the droppings or whatever at the bottom.
Finally getting back on my feet. Hope to shop a little next week.
Thanks again!
-Dee
Added: As long as everything looks good, I'm happy! ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom